Chunky mummy scan woes

shellshocked

Reaction score
i am 3 1/2 stone overweight and 5',10 you cant miss me. I have one little boy already. this time around I had read so much about larger women being treated badly at scans that I was ready for tears before I had even gone in. would you believe it I also told my husband I didn't want him to come in with me ( this was in case I was embarrassed by the sonographer calling me on my fat or telling me I was too fat to find the jelly bean). In the end I relented & let hubby come in and hold my hand.

When I mentioned my chunk the sonographer laughed. And told me not to be silly there were many women far larger than me who scan fine. At that point I was just worried they wouldn't find jelly bean as it was all in my head.Well I needn't had worried I had a lovely view of jelly bean and the sonographer was lovely pointing everything out and baby had a good ha and a good wriggle for show, husband and I left delighted. So just a positive experience for the larger lady wanting reassurance for an early scan.

Oh yay! Glad to hear you had a positive experience!

To be honest, 3 stone over weight is not a lot, plenty of women who are ten stone plus over weight and that is who some of the horror stories are from.... We are all just made to feel bad all the time..... Just keep a few comebacks in your pocket, you won't need them, but if you have them you will feel better.... I had a friend who was in the twenty stone bracket when she was pregnant I told her to say " well I was not to fat to get pregnant was I!" No one said anything to her though!

Same goes for using a doppler, im 7st over my ideal weight i found baby hb at 10w

I am overweight and it is normally the 20 week scan that they have the issue with as it can be hard for them to get detailed information on everything that they need but not once has a sonographer been rude about it to me xxx

I was really big last pregnancy, and pretty big this one. Aside from being under consultant care due to bmi I wasn't treated differently at all and aside from 'moving my belly' (shoot me now moment) scans went fine, easy to find baby etc.

I was very very overweight with my first and I was sooooo anxious about sonographers being rude about it. I had 8 Nhs scans and not one sonographer made me feel uncomfortable/embarrassed. I had to have my anomaly scan repeated due to "mothers high bmi" but again the bedside manner was wonderful and I was just glad to be seeing bubs again :)

This time I'm 4 stone lighter so I'm not as worried :)

So reassuring to hear your stories, I am overweight and already told hubby hes better not have the afternoon off work as he will of only been there a few weeks, all because I don't get any embarrassing moments. Xxx

I am so glad it wasn'y just me who was worried. Im also really glad that eveyone has been having positive scan experiences. There is something about the British sense of humour that seems to make things okay. I like that we can laugh at ourselves and also that the sonographer in my case was able to laugh at me, but I also felt that if something serious had come up she'd have been completely professional and tried her best To be sympathetic etc. Wishinf eveyone happy and healthy pregnancies. X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->