Church shoebox appeal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mum22ttc#3

Mum of 3
Reaction score
Does anyone do these?

I would like my girls to do one each this year, we don't go to church or aren't overly religious either so I'm not sure whether my local church even does them so just wondered how to go about it.

Also if you do these what do you put in them? Just looking for more information on it really. :)

I don't go to church much, only for the monthly family coffee morning and also when the boys school invites parents to the end of term services. But I do know that they have leaflets inside the church that you take and it tells you what NOT to include and gives examples of what to include. I think you then return it to the church by a certain date. I always mean to do it and leave it too late.

Please do your research about who you're giving to Hun, some of these companies have a really bad reputation for the way they 'give' your boxes out xx

I have never done the shoebox thing, but at work we do a charity thing each year instead of giving out christmas cards. One year we contacted the local women's refuge and asked if there was anything we could donate. We made up toiletry bags to be given to women who had fled from abuse with nothing. And our local Asda has an appeal every year for donations of toys for local children who, for whatever reason, won't otherwise recieve anything, which I always give to. Planning on asking the children to each choose something to donate this year.

I haven't done he shoe box but would like to but as the other seller said about who there giving them to. I remember in asda last year there was a box the idea was you picked up something extra a toy and donated it not sure where it went though. The only thing I've done similar to this is thro my grans church they ask for your unwanted toys wrapped up with age group and gender wrote on it and give them out to those who can't afford christmas for what ever reason. It just makes you really appreciate the little things in life a bit more :) xx

Ok, I'm still not sure what my local church do/support but the parish next to me (like 3-4 miles) where I used to live, they do the shoebox appeal in support of 'The Samaritans shoe box appeal'.

Are these good or bad? If bad is there anyone or place you would recommend? Sorry, not wanting to sound stupid or naive but why are certain ones 'bad'?

I have seen that out local asda also do the gift donation which I am also planning on donating too this year.

I would like my kids to put together and help choose stuff for a shoebox as Like a pp said I just think it helps you to appreciate the little things and what others aren't always so 'lucky' to have iykwim? :)

Yes I do them, usually through the Samaritans. I'm not religious either, and it's worth noting that there are a lot of other shoe box type appeals that aren't religious in any way. I've seen one for elderly people that looks good. Worth having a google. We did the Samaritans one last year because I missed the deadline for the others yet again :blush:

Another thing we do is to make a care package for a homeless person. We put it in a rucksack so it's easy to carry but it's usually toiletries, warm clothing, new (thermal) socks and underwear, food (their favourite sandwich, if you know the person, or maybe a McDonalds meal with hot drink, and then Christmas snack foods such as mince pies), and dog food if they have a dog. You could even add money or a sleeping bag if you can afford it, though we don't do this. If you live in a city with a big homelessness problem then I think this is definitely something worth considering.

ETA: The latter is something the children can be very involved in, even in making a card or something. It sounds silly and I always feel rude giving the packages but they always seem to be so gratefully received and it's a lovely way of getting to know people and allowing someone who's lonely to just have a normal conversation for a while. Children are especially good at being friendly and generally cheering everyone up, too!

https://linktohope.co.uk/about-us#purpose This one is Christian and does link the boxes to churches in those areas, but they do not exclusively give to Christians. Also worth noting that Christianity is the main religion where the boxes end up anyway.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/SaSG1 1RJ maritan's_Purse there is a bit about some of the controversy on there but is much more. I'm not saying don't do it, just be comfortable with how some companies use your boxes :flower: xx

i like the idea of the homeless one, you know exactly where everything is going and that its being received by someone who needs it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"