Church v Civil Ceremony

loopylou86

Reaction score
I found a civil ceremony venue and you are looking at over £1700 for hire and registrar not incl drinks whilst pics are being taken.

I was wondering if anyone else had the above dilemma?

They vary a lot!!! What about your local registry office? We've got our ceremony venue for £300 including drinks and ouderves, plus registrar fees on top (which are £500 in my area), so £800 for the lot, BUT our venue was half price coz we're having such a small ceremony, so would normally be £600-£700.

If you have it at he registry office it's a lot cheaper. In our area a registry office ceremony is about £150-£250 including registrar. Depends what you want really x

They vary a lot!!! What about your local registry office? We've got our ceremony venue for £300 including drinks and ouderves, plus registrar fees on top (which are £500 in my area), so £800 for the lot, BUT our venue was half price coz we're having such a small ceremony, so would normally be £600-£700.

If you have it at he registry office it's a lot cheaper. In our area a registry office ceremony is about £150-£250 including registrar. Depends what you want really x

Part of me really likes a historic building with beautiful gardens but in all honesty, I have not been impressed with the civil ceremonies I have attended and I think there is nothing like a traditional church wedding m

I agree, church weddings are beautiful. We aren't having a church wedding because neither of us are religious so it would seem a bit hypocritical to have a religious ceremony, so we've gone for a reception venue that has meaning to us as a couple. Unfortunately we couldn't get the ceremony venue we wanted so we've just gone for somewhere "nice". We'd happily have a registry office wedding too if it wasn't for the fact that all our registry offices are total dives :lol: Our whole town is a 1970's concrete throw back. It's awful :haha:

While I think church weddings are wonderful I personally feel that civil ceremonys can be made to suit you and you OH and be a bit more personal.

We've tried to get into a church which I really wanted as a lot of my family is buried there (inc my dad) but they've been a bunch of arses unfortunately :( I said to OH that if I couldn't get married in that church then I didnt want any other church wedding and would settle for a civil ceremony.

What I didn't know about civil ceremonys (as I've never really been to any) is that you can choose the music you walk down the aisle, sign the register and walk out to which can make it feel more 'personal' also you can pick your vows as long as it isn't religious :) to be honest, that sold me more than a church wedding.

We decided to use the register office - only £35!

Personally, I think we find the reception, speeches etc more important and the ceremony more of a formality so we didn't want to spend a lot of our budget on that. Also, the information they give for what happens during the ceremony seems really strict and impersonal but when we saw the registrar and asked if we could do other things like if my sister could sing a song etc they were fine with it x

We've tried to get into a church which I really wanted as a lot of my family is buried there (inc my dad) but they've been a bunch of arses unfortunately :(

I'm sorry to resurrect this thread - but if this is a c of e church, you should report this church to the diocese. The fact that you have direct family buried at the church should be a case of connection to the individual church, and therefore you should be able to get married there. Even if you chose to have a civil ceremony, it should be raised. If you want to follow this option, I may be able to help you find appropriate contact details. This isn't on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->