Cigarettes 'may be sold in plain brown packs so they are less attractive to children'

I dont see how any of the packets are attractive :shrug: They're just a colour with the brand name on!

Tbh nothing would have stopped me starting at 14, i knew it was disgusting (had been very very anti-smoking up until i started!), knew the health risks, cost, that my mum would kill me LOL but i still did it!

I think it will do the oppesit and end up making them more appealing to children as if they are in plain packaging they are then easier to hide, not so obvious what they have and parents wont be as aware of them if seeing them at a glance.
So puerly just for those reasons I think kids are going to be thinking yayyy

I don't agree with it - my sister started smoking at 13 and would have done it whether or not she liked the packet :wacko: doesn't make any difference in my opinion. I smoked for a couple of months but soon got bored and moved on. :lol:

If people want to smoke they will smoke ... i couldnt care less what the packet looks like, i care about whats inside :dohh:

Oh, I don't know. A lot of us are more brand oriented than we realize. I think making all the boxes sort of anonymous, with no brand identity, will affect sales.
I realize that most teens aren't smoking a favourite brand yet, but they are VERY brand-oriented, so any small step that makes advertising (ie, in the form of brand recognition) for the tobacco companies more difficult is positive, in my opinion.
And in Canada, at least in my province, they are behind a cupboard. You cannot even display them.

if they really think that'll make a difference they're mistaken. The packs are hardly attractive with their disgusting images on them...changing it to brown will make it look more attractive IMO...

Oh, I don't know. A lot of us are more brand oriented than we realize. I think making all the boxes sort of anonymous, with no brand identity, will affect sales.
I realize that most teens aren't smoking a favourite brand yet, but they are VERY brand-oriented, so any small step that makes advertising (ie, in the form of brand recognition) for the tobacco companies more difficult is positive, in my opinion.
And in Canada, at least in my province, they are behind a cupboard. You cannot even display them.

I think it would only effect sales as in it would level the field out a bit rather then effect the otherall sales of tobbaco as a whole.

When I was a teen ciggerettes just like anything else had its cool and not cool brands and tbh I dont think the packaging had much to do with it because we all used to take them out the packaging and hide thim in places anyway (to sneak them into school) so the box was never seen.
Dont know if its the same now but when I was a teen it was BnH that was the cool fags, silk cut if you where easy and just showing off and mayfair where the skint pickies, that was how we saw other smokers and like I say that was nothing to do with brand packaging but brand names.

Mayfair all the way

Only ones i look at as 'cheap' are Pall Mall, because they ARE cheap! And disgusting

Or windsor blues! Which is strange cos windsor is really posh lol

Ooh, true. Or richmonds :sick: I used to smoke Richmond superkings when i was about 14/15 and thought i was ard, and they are absolutely rank, i had one a few months ago and nearly puked

ETA: Also Camels. I smoked 2 in a row once and actually did puke. lmao

I cant even go near the smell of camel it makes me feel sick

I remember everyone saying windsor blues tasted sweet?!

when i first started smoking i smoked marlbro lights cus they tasted of caramel lol, richmond were the cheap fags for the scruffs, :rofl: oh how things have changed i always smoke richmond now cus i started smoking menthols after i had jesse and richmond have the nicest menthols in my opinion ¬_¬ not that i cant afford to pay 40p extra i just prefer the taste haha x

It won't make a difference.

If i could go back in time and talk to myself i would say...

'Yep. It will make you cool and you will be friends with the 'popular' people. For a few months. Then they will start bullying you anyway and the only thing you'll gain is an addiction'.

Bet I wouldn't listen though!

What might work is clearer laws and harsher punishments. A 14 yr old walking down the road smoking gets a 20 pound fine from the police. Make it illegal to smoke underage, not just buy them. It is like that with 'illegal' drugs (not going to start that again haha) and less people do them.

But the government don't reeeeaaally want to stop them. What would happen to the NHS if the next generation didn't smoke? They just have to look like they're trying to stop it happening!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->