Citalopram

Jazzy-NICU

Reaction score
My GP has started me on citalopram today for pnd, has anyone had any experience with this? She said it would level my mood but now I'm worried it'll stop me feeling happy too, I know what might sound silly :-(

I have tried most of the SSRIs and several of the other classes of anti-dps out there over the years as I developed bad side effects or even allergies to many of them, I have to say citalopram is the only one I can take now; it just made me feel 'normal' and rational as well-one of my problems when I get depressed is I also get very paranoid and completely irrational and this leads to panic attacks, citalopram is the only anti-dp that sorts that without the need of taking additional anti-anxiety medication (which makes me feel like a zombie anyway) xx

Personally I never found citalopram strong enough or depression and anxiety but my depression is pretty severe right now. I found an SNRI antidepressant much better but citalopram is generally safe for use during breastfeeding and being the weaker of the SSRI medications, it should have the least "zombie" like effect on you.
I found that antidepressants helped me to feel as depression made me very numb and distant. It depends on the dose and how severe depression is in comparison with anxiety

There are a wide variety of medcations you can try, one that is very good and effective (also SAFE for breastfeeding) is Wellbutrin/bupropion as it aides weight loss and helps increase your energy levels too :)

it works very well for me, but everyone is different x

Personally I never found citalopram strong enough or depression and anxiety but my depression is pretty severe right now. I found an SNRI antidepressant much better but citalopram is generally safe for use during breastfeeding and being the weaker of the SSRI medications, it should have the least "zombie" like effect on you.
I found that antidepressants helped me to feel as depression made me very numb and distant. It depends on the dose and how severe depression is in comparison with anxiety

There are a wide variety of medcations you can try, one that is very good and effective (also SAFE for breastfeeding) is Wellbutrin/bupropion as it aides weight loss and helps increase your energy levels too :)

I have suffered very severe anxiety and depression in the past to the extent of being hospitalised; I did find that citalopram did work best out of all the ones I tried; venlafexine (effexor) also worked similarly well but I was allergic to the active ingredient and had to stop it immediately xx

I was on citalopram for a little over 2 years. At first I just felt kinda sleepy and not myself, but once it really got into my system I think it did take the edge off of my anxiety and depression. I was still happy and you will be too. It takes up to 6 weeks for it to function fully so you should notice a difference by then unless your dosage is too low. Good luck!

I was on it a couple of years ago. I found it was quite good and quick to work.

One thing I would say about it though, coming off it was horrendous and I was on a low dosage. I came off it in a month to TTC so probably did it too quickly so just keep in mind you'll probably want to allow a couple of months to reduce your dose gradually.

One thing I would say about it though, coming off it was horrendous and I was on a low dosage. I came off it in a month to TTC so probably did it too quickly so just keep in mind you'll probably want to allow a couple of months to reduce your dose gradually.

That is true. I should have mentioned. I came off of it in may and it has been difficult but with help from your doc and beingcareful not to stress out you'll be fine.

I was on it for YEARS (like 6+) before I fell pregnant and have to say it helped alot! The only problem I found was in the beginning (the first couple of weeks before your moods level out) it can cause your anxiety to heighten but if you don't have anxiety problems you may not experience this (I was taking it for anxiety disorder, so to me it was quite noticeable.) I took anti-nausea pills/syrup to level it out and it worked for many years.

Stopped taking it during pregnancy and haven't gone back on it since, just hope I won't have to really! If you do ever stop taking it make sure you slow it down gradually is all!"

Good luck and hope it makes a difference for you! :)

Agreed.. would also give a couple of months slowing it down. I was on 40mg and began to take one every other day and then eventually one every couple of days etc til I fell pregnant.

I found that it worked well for me. I hope that it helps you too x

I have only had experience of Lustral and Citalopram, and Citalopram was by far superior. I was on a low dose of 20mgs and it really did level my mood. I had (before medication) peeks and troughs of almost bi-polar mood swings and although the highs were good, they were unsustainable so I would wake up the following day in a doom and gloom mood! The Citalopram just meant that I felt pleasantly mild the majority of the time, but not like a zombie (which the Lustral had made me like)
I would stay on it for at least 6 months regardless of how well you feel. I was on Citalopram for about 1.5 years when I was 19 and then I weaned off slowly but it was horrid coming off! My mood was fine but the dizziness and feeling like my brain wasnt keeping up with my vision was awful.

For me this has been great. In the begining for about two weeks I hated the side effects but if you can get past them you may like how it works. I felt I was still able to have emotions which was nice. When I first started taking this I was at 10mg and then I went up to 20. I could tell when I leveled out on the 10 that I needed it increased. I think it took about 3-4 weeks before I knew I needed to up the dose. Just pay attention and talk with your doctor if you feel like you n eed more. once you find the right dose it should be great. ( although different for everyone)

Ive taken various SSRIs,SNRIs and Tricyclics and for me none worked for depression, they either sent me into a mixed episode or made me suicidal. I can not take them now. Citalopram was the first anti depressant i was put on in the beginning, and since tried many different ones. Most GPs will try you on a low dose of an anti depressant like citalopram and increase your dose over time if needed, if you get no response from the med or your mood changes they may change the medication. Do you know if your area has a perinatal mental health team? As they are specially created for treating women in the antenatal and postnatal period and can provide at home support, i am with such team and have a nursery nurse come and see me once a week who helps me, also have direct access to a psychiatrist should i require extra support on a medication side. There is a unit available too should the need arise. Hope that helps

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->