cleft lip and palet ???

lesleyann

Mummy
Reaction score
Ok so my friend had her little boy Alyx by c-section on friday and i am planning on going round to see her on friday and she told me her son has a "cleft lip and palet" and that he will have to have surgery once he is 3months old..

To be honest i have no idea what this is and was wondering if any of you know or have had a child with it? I just really dont want to turn up to her house and mayeb make her feel bad because i dont understand it or now what it looks like or anything.

p.s if this needs moving somewhere else sorry i just though here might be a good place

It basically means the tissues in the upper lip/mouth did not connect when he was growing in the fetus. Its an opening which can be just at the front of the mouth, or take up the whole top of the mouth (depending on the severity) that connects to the nasal passages and I think, the ears as well. I dont know too much about it, but have heard of it before. So, if someone else has better info that might help more.

Anyways, heres a baby with it.. I found on google. You can see the tissue isn't connected.
https://thump01.pbase.com/u9/stella97king/small/13900478.4FEEDING2.jpg

Explained really well above =)
I know that Celine (member on here) was born with a cleft lip and had surgery on it. It might be worth PM'ing her and asking her about it.

thanks i have been messaging her about it found out he will be having about 3 op's, 1 at 3months then another between 6-9months then the next at years to do it all i just can not wait to see him since she is such a lovely lady i just wanted to understand it more..

Thanks for the info

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mrs.K2024
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->