Cloth diapers trying to figure out the best approach

readynwilling

Jadyn & Tyler's Mom
Reaction score
Hi :flower:

I am only 13 weeks but have known since before my :bfp: that I want to use cloth. Its kinda weird as i have no real reason why... I mean I know I will save some $$, I know its better for the enviroment, and I KNOW THEY ARE CUTE. But I also realize they will be more work than disposables - yet I am still sure I want to give it a go.

Sorry for the upcomming long winded post. I have a good grasp on what types are available, how to use, how to wash, supplies i need etc etc (youtube is a godsend).

I have a couple of hang ups. I am pretty sure i want to use mostly Pocket's/AIO's. But i don't love the look of the bulky one-size diapers on a small baby. Shallow, I know, but I can't get over it. The second hang up is getting DH on board. So will need to start out part time to begin with so i can get him used to the idea.

So... I am thinking of building a small stash of size XS & S size diapers (maybe 6-10) and basically start out CD'ing part time. Especially when :baby: is newborn. What age did you start your LO's in Cloth? Right from birth? 1 month? Im sure as this is my first, the beginning month or so will be work enough as it is!

And then when LO is almost out of the S size then do a diaper trial (found a couple of good ones locally) so I can try out a bunch of different diapers Ithen build my stash of One-size diapers i know I like both new and preloved. I don't want to buy a bunch of diapers that might not work with my LO and have to take a $ hit (even though it might be small) selling them very gently used.

Another option I thought of was to buy prefolds and 4-5 small wraps and do them in the first couple months till I am ready to get into OS - except they are a little more work to get on the baby no? but they are definatly a cheaper option for the first stage... Is the resale value of prefolds still good? Which prefolds do people prefer?

At what age/weight did your LO's fit better into the One-size diapers??

Also i intend on BF exclusively as long as baby wants so will be doing BLW. Im thinking i will be going throw 10-12 diapers a day for the first month or so... does that sound right??

TIA!!

Sara

sounds like u have a good idea what u are after hun, i will warn you that BF newborn poop really does run snd leaks alot till you start some solids.

i use prefolds but find them bulky but mine arent designed to match the wraps so need folding to fit, GMD (green mountain diapers) do prefolds that are sized to fit wraps.

So i went into 2 local diaper stores.

They were really helpful. At the one they do a "demo" the 2nd saturday of every month and go through it all and answer questions. Its free but they ask for a donation for the food bank, no problemo there. And they give you a $10 voucher for the store. So i signed up for the one on Sept 11th. I had a look at the prefolds and fitted and wraps and have decided I really just want to do AIO/pockets/hybrids.

At the second store the prices were much better so i picked up a BG size S AIO. it was $21 which is about 13 british pounds. I think that is an ok price for a new diaper.

I like to hold and touch and feel them before i buy so now that i have the chance i will be looking for used ones!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->