Cloth diapers

Mantha3

Reaction score
Hey everyone.. I have been looking into using cloth diapers. Not really to save money but more for the environment. Does anyone have any knowledge about this? I would love to hear from anyone with cloth diapering experience. Thanks!!!!!

I don't have a lot of knowledge on it, but I am thinking of using them too. Not only are they better for the environment, but they will save you big $$ in the long run! They're sorta expensive at first though, like $12 per diaper..and we don't have a diaper service around here so I'd have to clean them myself, but still...I'm thinking about it.

I'm interested in using them,too. I want to try gdiapers except I plan to use cloth linings instead of flushables. Gdiapers cost $16 apiece, but they are comfortable and can be used again and again even for future children. So you could possibly be saving a lot in the long run.

I have used them since Seren was a week old.What do you want to know?

Hey! thats really good that your looking out for the environment! We need more people like us.

I really dont know much about them but my best friends did tell me, cause I was thinking about using them, that they are a MESS! she said that her little one went right through it.

But, not to be mean...she does have her days where shes not the brightest. So who knows if it was a user issue. You could at least give it a try, theres no harm in that and if it doesnt work out for ya then there are other choices.

https://www.babyandbump.com/forumdisplay.php?f=50
loads of stuff on here :)

i want to use cloth nappys too i think im gonna use Bambino Mio, they do a birth to potty pack for £230 so its quite abit of money to start off with but it works out to be saving you £600 per baby if you use these and not disposable ones.

Something I was thinking about with cloth diapers is that.. yes they are more expensive to begin with but in the long run better than using disposable. BUT with cloth diapers you have to wash them a few times and that mean you will be running your washer and dryer more than usual. Doesn't that waste water and electricity? And raise your electricity bill quite a bit? So REALLY when you get down to it... IS it cheaper? I know better for the environment.. but cheaper?

well i have read that if you wash them every 3 days that should be a load full and it shouldnt effect it.

so you soak them and then on the 3rf day you wash them all.

I was wondering if the cloth diapers or prefolds could be handwashed...

im not sure. if you soak them for a while then may be you can but not sure how difficult it would be.

So how many diapers would you need for 3 days? When going out of town or something I usually pack about 8 diapers per day (disposable) but they are forgiving.. you don't have to change them after every pee.

Good on you ladies for doing your bit for the environment!! but i am going to be disposables all the way!

A friend of mine used washable ones, basically for the cost and for the environment. She reckons they are def worth the money and despite washing them every 3 days or so, she´s still saved the money. As she´s now pregnant with her second child, she can re use all the nappies she bought for the first one.

I know she did occaisionally switch to disposables when on holiday or staying at friends houses etc as it was easier.

I'm using cloth aswell, decided to even before I got pregnant!

We bought a newborn - toddler pack by Tommee Tippee, they're not nappies as such but a pad with seperate like a wrap/pant.
I got them on sale as they discontinued them now because the government isn't prepared to fund something that might help the environment :dohh:

So how many diapers would you need for 3 days? When going out of town or something I usually pack about 8 diapers per day (disposable) but they are forgiving.. you don't have to change them after every pee.

well 'bambion mio' suggest that you may need roughly about
24 nappies(the cotton)
3-6 nappy covers(which dont need to be washed after every change)

thats what they reccommend if you wash every 3rd day.

i dont think they have to be changed every time they wet it as they are absortant as its natural cotton.

hope this helps.

Do any of you use a diaper service? I would really like to use cloth, but am VERY opposed to washing them myself. I run my own company, and I barely have time to do my own laundry, let alone the extra with the cloth.

I'm really just wondering if you have them in your house for a week how bad is it going to stink??

Holldoll! :rofl: I was thinking the same thing about a smelly house! okay 24 diapers.. that is exactly what I thought 8 diapers a day. God I am good :laugh2: Thanks for all the help. I was recommended to use one size ones and I saw some brands have all in one. Anyone know anything about that? ;)
OH AND... wipes, reusable ones. How does that work? Do you put them in a liquid to help wipe the lil bums? If so do you buy it or make it?

Something I was thinking about with cloth diapers is that.. yes they are more expensive to begin with but in the long run better than using disposable. BUT with cloth diapers you have to wash them a few times and that mean you will be running your washer and dryer more than usual. Doesn't that waste water and electricity? And raise your electricity bill quite a bit? So REALLY when you get down to it... IS it cheaper? I know better for the environment.. but cheaper?

If GREEN is the issue you can make your own eco-friengly detergent or buy some.

homemade laundry detergent

I think I have a plan. I want to start out with Kissaluvs. They have an area you can pull down for the umbilical cord, and they look oh so comfortable. Then I will go to either bumgenius or gdiapers. I also want to practice EC but I don't know how SO will feel about that. That itself is gonna cut down on the need for diapers. I was thinking gdiapers would be more convenient for going out of town since they have the flushable liners (though I'd be using prefolds most of the time).

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->