cloth nappies and nappy rash

kelly342000

Reaction score
now we are in cloth full time i thought that nappy rash would no longer be an issue but we are still having problems. i am using pop-in bamboo nappies and am changing them as soon as i know she has done a poo or every couple of hours even if just wet. i am using a fleece liner and both inserts in the pop in and she is always dry even if nappies are wet IYKWIM but if i dont use nappy rash cream at every change she gets a rash back very quickly! i don't mind using cream and liners at every change just wondering why she is so prone to getting nappy rash? she used to get it in disposables too. any ideas?

What kind of wipes are you using? The solution in disposable wipes sometimes cause rashes. Could she be sensitive to the detergent you use also? Maybe it's reacting with her pee and irritating her skin?

Emma is super prone to rashes too so we have to be careful also. I hope the rash clears for your LO soon :hugs:

we started off using disposable wipes and went to washable ones, made no difference. have also tried different detergents also no difference. rest of her skin is fine, just her poor bum! maybe she is also just super sensitive!

It sounds like she just has a very sensitive bum. Could you try a nappy that is more breathable than a pop-in? Maybe a fitted nappy (no waterproof layer) with wool over the top would let her skin breathe better. Or I think there are some wraps that are particularly airy (the only one I know of though is an Airflow one) and you could use a looser-around-the-bum fitted too. When Leyla had nappy rash after a weekend in sposies, I used a Motherease One Size nappy with no wrap - they're quite loose around the bum.

oooh, i just bought the pop-ins recently (along with a few others) and spent nearly £300 on them so no spare cash to buy more! i did try ones with separate wraps and didn't like them as much as the pop-ins or pocket nappies we tried. i didn't realise some nappies were more breathable than others :-(

you could try silk liners, ive heard their excellent for rash prone bums :hug:

Do you give her time with no nappy on every day, this worked wonders for my two boys

I think you can get liners with silver in them too. Silver is used in some hospital dressings to help healing.

We are having this problem with atm with flips. All our nappies are flips and I can't buy any new ones. I've resorted to bepabthan cream or metanium, neither of which are very natural but the only thing that's helping. Also I've had to put him in a sposie overnight :( because his bum looked so sad by morning in the organic flips.

It could still be a detergent reaction maybe; even though u've tried different brands it might be worth a go at soapnuts instead. I'd also recommend using raw silk liners (such as ones by Disana) they're expensive but worth every penny. And using breathable materials like wool covers (again Disana ones are great) instead of PUL should help too (especially overnight). Also in the mean time if u want to use a cream the best one I've come accross is the Calendula nappy cream by Weleda; u only need a very thin layer, it works wonders. Good luck!

We are having this problem with atm with flips. All our nappies are flips and I can't buy any new ones. I've resorted to bepabthan cream or metanium, neither of which are very natural but the only thing that's helping. Also I've had to put him in a sposie overnight :( because his bum looked so sad by morning in the organic flips.

Are you using a fleece liner with the organic flips? They don't have a stay dry layer so can leave the skin very wet. There's no way we could use them even during the day without fleece on top.

It could still be a detergent reaction maybe; even though u've tried different brands it might be worth a go at soapnuts instead.
aw i tried soap nuts on some towels and they came out all crispy and stiff and didn't smell very clean, so was reluctant to use them on her nappies.

I'd also recommend using raw silk liners (such as ones by Disana) they're expensive but worth every penny.

will have a google for these. will i need to use them at every change to stop the rash coming back? seems as soon as i miss cream even just once or twice she gets a sore bum again :shrug:

It could still be a detergent reaction maybe; even though u've tried different brands it might be worth a go at soapnuts instead.
aw i tried soap nuts on some towels and they came out all crispy and stiff and didn't smell very clean, so was reluctant to use them on her nappies.

I'd also recommend using raw silk liners (such as ones by Disana) they're expensive but worth every penny.

will have a google for these. will i need to use them at every change to stop the rash coming back? seems as soon as i miss cream even just once or twice she gets a sore bum again :shrug:

I have seen a few people say this, but I dont get it! If I wash with powder/liquid AND use fabcon and then line dry then my towels are horrible, would even go as far as to say they are scratchy! If I tumble then they are soft, but it costs a fortune!

With the soap nuts they come out of the washer feeling very soft and just smell clean and fresh - then after line drying they are not as soft as when tumbled, but they are fine to use, nothing like when I use liquid/powder and fabcon and line dry!

How many nuts do you use? I use 6 whole nuts.

I have seen a few people say this, but I dont get it! If I wash with powder/liquid AND use fabcon and then line dry then my towels are horrible, would even go as far as to say they are scratchy! If I tumble then they are soft, but it costs a fortune!

With the soap nuts they come out of the washer feeling very soft and just smell clean and fresh - then after line drying they are not as soft as when tumbled, but they are fine to use, nothing like when I use liquid/powder and fabcon and line dry!

i used about 7 half shells, the instructions said to use between 6-8 halfshells.
no, i didn't get it either :nope: was expecting stuff to come out better as heard such good things about them. :shrug:

i used about 7 half shells, the instructions said to use between 6-8 halfshells.
no, i didn't get it either :nope: was expecting stuff to come out better as heard such good things about them. :shrug:

maybe try again if you have some left and use more?
I don't know how much everyone else uses, but that's what I use and they work great!

Also how did you use them? If I use them at 30 then I pop them in a bit of warm water for a few minutes first to soften them up, if I wash at 40 and above I don't bother, or if I am using them right after another load I just put them back in.

I think if the wash is too cold and they are fresh and hard they don't froth up very well.

maybe try again if you have some left and use more?
I don't know how much everyone else uses, but that's what I use and they work great!

Also how did you use them? If I use them at 30 then I pop them in a bit of warm water for a few minutes first to soften them up, if I wash at 40 and above I don't bother, or if I am using them right after another load I just put them back in.

I think if the wash is too cold and they are fresh and hard they don't froth up very well.

they were washed at 40 or 60 as i don't have a 30 setting, but they are fresh and hard and did not seem very frothy when washing. i do have some left so will try again. :thumbup:

Are you using a fleece liner with the organic flips? They don't have a stay dry layer so can leave the skin very wet. There's no way we could use them even during the day without fleece on top.

Yeah we use fleece liners. Bought some off ebay which are great but are "shaped" so the poo goes on the side. Made my own fleece liners out of a blanket but the wees seemed to bounce off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->