Cloth nappies, blocked drains?!

bumphope

Reaction score
So we have been using cloth nappies, which are wonderful.

We haven't been using liners, doing a wash every other day with probably 2-3 dirty nappies in.

We have a blocked drain issue.... Must be poo! Not sure what everyone else does about poo blocking the drain??

I have tried liners today, but they seem to catch about 40% of the poo (maybe I'm using them wrong?? I have the boots ones, which seem huge, so I've been cutting them into 4 so they are literally the same size as the bottom of the nappy?). Now not really sure what to do.

What do you do with the poo before you put a wash on? Or do we have really rubbish drains?!

X

Flush it down the toilet (you're meant to even with disposables apparently).

I hold the soiled parts in the toilet bowl and do a flush or two...or three.

Otherwise I will swish the soiled parts in a bucket of water until the poo comes off then tip that water into the toilet.

Ah! The flushing is a good idea... I will try that!

Tried to get it off with a scrape with loo roll too. It's so greasy /oily /STICKY!! Hopefully a bit of a flush will get the worst of it off and the drains won't be so offended.

Thank you!

X

It is! Poo sticks to nappies like you wouldn't believe. I usually have to do the bucket thing.

We used liners after DS started solids (EBF poo washed away fine). The liner is meant to be large, for us it needed to be wider than the diaper since it all bunches a bit.

Ah so maybe it's partly having to combi feed... That would make sense I guess.

And I'll have a go with a bigger liner and see how we go. Just thought it would look weird poking out the side of the nappy?

X

:shrug: it might, it its either that or dunk them in the toilet! I was okay with dunking but MIL and DH weren't, so liners it was.

So the bigger liner is a non-winner. She pooed, I took the nappy off, the liner was stuck to her bottom with poo, I peeled it off, and then proceeded to collect the considerable amount of remaining poo in the reusable wipes, which are then going to end up in the washing machine... Hm.

Will report back on the flushing!!

Silly boobs. Another problem not having enough milk has caused!

X

Yeah I only used them after solids, sorry it didn't help!

I started with the boots liners I found the best size was cut in half but tots bots disposable ones are sooo much better! I use washable liners now but I can't say I've had a problem with the drains. I try and tip as much poo as I can in the toilet and what Evers left gets washed. I don't flush it or dunk it in the toilet, toomuch gag reflex for that haha.

I hate using liners in the nappy so I use them for wiping/scraping the poo off the nappy (like you would with a wipe on baby's bum) x

Oo that's a good idea! Have been scraping down the loo.... Had major drain crisis last night, had to take the pipes out. Oops!

X

Another good idea!! You ladies are full of them! Thank you! X

I sometimes leave the diaper dirty side down in the toilet to soak and then do a flush or two. My shower head reaches to the toilet so that's pretty handy for the really stubborn poops.

I've started wiping his bum with toilet paper to get the chunks off then wiping with a cloth to get him clean.

I don't know how poop can clog your drains though? I feel like the washing machine would break it up enough, even if you threw a log in there lol

Omg you wouldn't believe it! It's washed through the machine and down the pipe, but got stuck on the corners then bits of washing tablet and hairs etc have got stuck on top and, well... Yuck!

X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"