Cloth Nappies - Where do I start?!

~Mummy~

Expecting #2!!
Reaction score
Hi all, this will be my first baby and we are very keen on trying reusable nappies.

The only problem is that whenever I start looking online for what I need to get it just seems like there's so much choice and I haven't got a clue where to start.
There's like inserts, snaps and liners and prefolds... :wacko: And none of it means anything to me.

I'm honestly quite tempted to google for a cloth nappies for dummies book! :haha:

Obviously I want to try it first before spending a fortune on a pile of them, I don't want to buy loads to find that I simply can't cope with it, I honestly don't know what to expect, being a first time mum and all.

Would any of you be kind enough to help me with it all? :flower:

Why don't you get in contact with a nappy guru of some description. I've seen ones that are independant and will come out and demonstrate some to you... I would then get on CNT or the swap thread and grab a few different ones to try!

Personally I love my motherease one sizes with wraps as I find them so simple but they are bulky!

I'm so glad you posted this as I was going to post exactly the same! I have no idea where to start as no-one I know uses re-usables and TBH my family are against the idea but I would like to try them out to see if they work for me. The thing is they are so expensive to start with I don't want to waste loads of money on the wrong ones.

belladonna you don't need to buy in bulk, you can buy one or two at a time and spread the cost.

ok, like sposies not all nappies will have the best fit on you baby, there is so much choice out there the best thing you can do is buy a few different ones (maybe even preloved) and give them a whirl.

in my siggy theres a few articles i've written that should answer a few of your other q's

I recommend LS links too, when you buy one or two it should all make more sense when you see them. Check whether your council run an incentive scheme too (linky in my sig) to help with the start up costs. You could also see if anyones hosting any nappicinos near you :flower:

I recommend LS links too, when you buy one or two it should all make more sense when you see them. Check whether your council run an incentive scheme too (linky in my sig) to help with the start up costs. You could also see if anyones hosting any nappicinos near you :flower:

No, they don't... I have checked, it's a shame, because the road next to us is a different council and they get it! :growlmad:

I will have a look for nappicinos! lol :haha:

Thanks for the links Littlestar, I will read through them tonight.

I would say get one of each that are used, so not as expensive - I would try a pocket like Bum Genius, an all in one like Itti Bitti, a wrap type like Bambooty, an all in 2 type like the Snap In Itti Bitti

Obviously there are lots brands in those categories, but they are the ones i would be tempted to try out at first as they seem to be the most popular.

^^WSS. Also I'd get hold of some preloved fitted nappies & wraps, like Tots Bots or Little Lambs - they are very cheap (a few £ each depending on condition) and pretty much always available on Used Nappy Company (auction site) and Cloth Nappy Tree, where you can also post Wanted ads.

The advantage of preloved natural fibres like cotton and bamboo (softer and more absorbant than cotton) is that they've probably been washed loads and the absorbancy is good, without you having to soak/prewash a number of times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->