Cloth Nappy Care

littlestar

Proud Mum to a Little Boy
Reaction score
As we're generating alot of interest in the cloth nappy section now i thought it would be worth while starting a thread regarding washing of cloth nappies
etc.

*Washing Nappies - wash nappies in a non-bio detergent in a reduced dosage - ie 1/3 or 1/4 or normal load amount.

* Fabric Conditioner - generally it is not advised to use fabric conditioner when washing cloth nappies as it puts oils back into the fabric and can reduce the nappies absorbency.

* Dry pailing or soaking - it is not necessary to soak nappies anymore, most people will dry pail after removing as much solids as possible, however you might want to help the bucket smell sweeter by adding a few drops of tea tree oil onto damp flannel/muslin

* Stripping Nappies - if your nappies smell, for no apparent reason (ie well washed) you might need to strip them - wash them as normal but instead of using a reduced amount of detergent use the full dose but run several rinse cycles afterwards.

* Hard Water areas - some cloth users in hard water areas find their nappies can go a little crispy, they recommend adding white vinegar to the softener drawer in the washer this normally returns the softness to the nappy.

that's all i can think of at the mo, feel free to add, alter, re-word etc

good idea hun !!!

most stains will bleach out i the sun (if we ever get any lol)

sara

xxxx

i just bought a new washing liquid by milton called antibacterial fabric solution, u add it to ur wash with the detergent and can wash nappies as low as 15 degrees!!!!! they sell in in mothercare for £5.50, i stocked up!

Has anyone tried using those eco balls you can buy instead of washing powder?

we use them in wk coz they gotta wash about 300 bed sheets a week (which kids have been in) they get them clean bu teachers sometimes complain about fluff n hairs. but it's a cheap option for work, don't thik the make stuff smel nice though - not horrible, just of nothing! x

ooh this is a good idea!!

i thought of another

dont soak things made with pul, i dont know why but its what ive heard

x

Great idea for a thread.

Has anyone else been told to wash their nappies using washing powder rather than liquid? I'm curious ...

Also, if anyone in Australia can recommend a washing powder, that would be great. I've tried Planet Ark and EcoStore ... they are okay but would be happy to try another.

they always say that you should wash nappies and baby clothes in non-bio, but i read recently that the UK is one of few countries that actually sell non-bio. France for instance only sell bio so they have to use that!

we use them in wk coz they gotta wash about 300 bed sheets a week (which kids have been in) they get them clean bu teachers sometimes complain about fluff n hairs. but it's a cheap option for work, don't thik the make stuff smel nice though - not horrible, just of nothing! x

Sorry, was this about the eco balls? I'm not bothered about the clothes having no smell, I never conditioner because of the smell! Have you tried them on nappies? Why is there fluff and hairs? Sorry, just so curious about them!

Sorry, was this about the eco balls? I'm not bothered about the clothes having no smell, I never conditioner because of the smell! Have you tried them on nappies? Why is there fluff and hairs? Sorry, just so curious about them!

yeah it was! but i can't tell you anymore, sorry xx

you know how you're not supposed to use fabric conditioner on cloth nappies, because it will affect how absorbant they are - can you use it when washing wraps?

they always say that you should wash nappies and baby clothes in non-bio, but i read recently that the UK is one of few countries that actually sell non-bio. France for instance only sell bio so they have to use that!

Umm, we do have non-bio :thumbup: Over here Persil is called Omo and I buy the same "small and mighty" bottle that I bought when I was in the UK last year.

Also there are lots of washing liquids and conditioners especially designed for babies :)

I have used the eco-balls on nappies, they didn't make them smell nice (not an issue for me) and they got them clean. I haven't used them for bad stains or anything (not had any) they seem to get poo off our fleece liners ok. I always do an extra rinse on nappies too, not sure how they would do in a quick wash.

I think they are incredibly cheap for how long they last!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->