Cloth or Disposable Diapers?

rachelrhin0

Pregnant with #1 and 3
Reaction score
Well there was a thread earlier of BF or FFing your LO when they come. So here is one about diapering. How will you do it? Personally I'll be CDing. It's so much cheaper and better for LO's skin. My mom used CD on me when I was a baby. I just about ordered CD with my last pregnancy before my LO passed. I'll also be making my own baby wipes.

So how will you diaper?

We already use Bumgenius on Byron and are very happy with them so will use them again with the second baby.

I am not sure yet. I tend to like cloth diapers but I am concerned about the actual leak safety and about the amount of washing to do.

(I just did a google in german, and what do i get onto ? A diaper fetishist site xD)

100% cloth. I love them, and they are so easy to use :thumbup:

I fully intended to CD with Edward but it never happened. I will definately be doing it with the next one, in fact I am starting my stash already (in the vain hope I will get to use them on Edward first) and have just got a lovely bright red one through the post

I use cloth now so i will use them next time too, though i dont think they are cheeper for me :lol: But they are soooo much nicer i couldnt use the others. They are sooooo cuuute too :lol:

I am not sure yet. I tend to like cloth diapers but I am concerned about the actual leak safety and about the amount of washing to do.

(I just did a google in german, and what do i get onto ? A diaper fetishist site xD)

I have only really had one leak issue with the ones I use which was Byron's overnight nappies that were totally soaked even with three liners but by moving his bedtime milk forward an hour that was resolved and there are only ever leaks when I get sidetracked and forget to change his nappy when it needs it! :blush: When byron was born all the disposable nappies we used tended to leak poo up his back and wee round the sides no matter what size or brand. He'd go through about 5 sleepsuits and vests a day.

Peanutbean

I have always used disposable nappies and thought i would this time too but then I read your post.
I had the same problem with all my babies when they were tiny, poo leakage up the back being the main one lol -did you really not get any of this with cloth nappies ? (diapers)
You also said you used disposables when he was tiny, if you dont mind me asking so many q's -when did you start using cloth?, and why not sooner -like from birth?, and (last one honest!) are they easay to use?

thanks xx

Peanutbean

I have always used disposable nappies and thought i would this time too but then I read your post.
I had the same problem with all my babies when they were tiny, poo leakage up the back being the main one lol -did you really not get any of this with cloth nappies ? (diapers)
You also said you used disposables when he was tiny, if you dont mind me asking so many q's -when did you start using cloth?, and why not sooner -like from birth?, and (last one honest!) are they easay to use?

thanks xx

Well we changed to cloth at about 2 months or thereabouts as we just hadn't got organized with them before Byron was born though we always intended to use them. He came a couple of weeks early too so that threw us then after he was born everything was nuts so we didn't have time to choose which reusables to go for! We'd been given some pampers and some huggies so we used them up but otherwise we used the nature babycare biodegradable ones. When we camp we use them now as well. We're pretty happy with them now but nothing fitted when he was little and he was born 6lb12 so not abnormally small or anything. Actually the nappies we have are birth to potty but don't start until a bit heavier than Byron was, about 8lb I think.

I can't remember well but I think it's likely that we had less problem with the back poo thing but I don't know if that wasn't partly age and changes in poo routine! We definitely stopped ahving to change all his clothes all day long anyway. He was still on milk of course so the poo itself wasn't different. I think it's probably just due to the sizing of the disposables.

They are very easy to use. The bumgenius are pocket nappies which means they have an outer which is waterproof on the back and fleece inside against baby then a fleecy sort of middle that you just stuff inside. They have poppers on the inserts and the outer so you can adjust the size and you can layer up inside for overnight nappies. I find that I need to change them more frequently than disposables but that's ok. I also use terry squares cut down for wet wipes so after use I pull out the middle and throw it, the outer and the wipes into the nappy bin together. I have 16 nappies and do a wash every other day. It cost something like £200 to get everything I needed. I started off using flushable liners but found they made the milk poo leak out the sides so I stopped. It washes out alright anyway. I use liners now Byron is having solid poo which makes it even easier and you can wipe the baby's bum a bit with it first and then chuck the lot in the toilet.

I'd recommend getting vest extenders (about 6 would be good) as vests tend not to be long enough and if they pull tight around the leg/crotch then they tend to soak the wee out of the nappy too. Also one tends to need to put them in larger size trousers sooner for the same reason though ones with a fly or flexible waistband are better.

We use Cloth with Jack and will for any others that come along!

How much litres does you washing machine take? and what is your average monthly consume on water (and is it significant to the bills)?

How much litres does you washing machine take? and what is your average monthly consume on water (and is it significant to the bills)?

I don't know! We got a new machine when I was pregnant though or just before. It's a triple A rating so you can't get much better. Our water bills aren't metered here so I don't know if it would make a difference on the meter. There are calculations made about reusables and all the energy needed and they are still supposed to come out cheaper overall than disposable even if they are washed at 90 (for example through a laundry service). We wash at 60 though.

My SIL uses reusables for her baby (or she did, he's three now) and they have water meter and find they pay much less for water now than they used to before they had a meter so I don't suppose it can make much difference!

I will be using cloth! after all i have my own buisness making and selling them so would be stupid not to use them myself hehe

you have just reminded me buttonnose, mr hubby took one of our PUL wraps into work and they didn't have a clue where to get the material

I shall 100% be using disposables. One of the main reasons is that when I suggested cloths to hubby he said if we used them he wouldn't be changing any nappies! I wasn't overly bothered about using them anyway so when hubby said this, it was easy to decide. I know it's not good that they go to landfill and all but I really am not that bothered about using disposables x

^^ there are some really good eco friendly disposables on the market now so if you were worried about the enviromental side of things that is always an option

I'll be honest, I'm not worried about landfills. What I am worried about is saving money. That's one of the reason for me BFing and CDing. Although they both better for baby when is another reason but I won't be working and I need to save as much money as possible. I'll also be making my own diaper wipe mixture to help save money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->