Cloth questions from a disposable diapering mommy

Connah'sMommy

Reaction score
I posted a wanted for some cloth diapers in the wanted section as i wanted them for LO when he has pics taken. But that got me thinking...i would love to use those all the time as not only do they look great but i bet they have lots of benefits too.

So if you guys would be so kind as to answer my silly long list of questions:blush: I really want to do this but i have to convince OH.

1.what are the benefits?
2.does it save you money on buying nappies all the time?
3.do your household bill increase in any way and if so how much roughly?
4.how often do you have to replace nappies?
5.I keep hearing things like...'inserts''boosters''liners'' etc...what the heck are you all on about and how often do they need replacing if at all? lol
6.are they easy to put on?
7.how do you wash and dry them?
8.when you take off a soiled nappy where do you put it? a pale in a nappy bag?or special bags?
9.i pressume when out and about you do the norm but put the cloth nappy in a nappy bag?
10. relatives...connah stays at nanas house sometimes,do i send her some nappies over or should she have her own there for convenience?
11.how many do i need?
12.is buying clothes a problem?like do you have to get bigger sizes etc?
13. what sizes do i get?
14.(finally)which ones should i get?

15. one more sorry had to edit :blush: ...when LO has pooped in it...what do i do with the poop?:blush:

sorry for my long list of questions but i really do want to do this and i have left it long enough really.
thanks in advance:flower:

I posted a wanted for some cloth diapers in the wanted section as i wanted them for LO when he has pics taken. But that got me thinking...i would love to use those all the time as not only do they look great but i bet they have lots of benefits too.

So if you guys would be so kind as to answer my silly long list of questions:blush: I really want to do this but i have to convince OH.

1.what are the benefits?
there are lots of small things tbh, they can work out cheaper in the long run, cloth is more breathable and incidences of nappy rash are less, cloth is so much softer against the skin
I think this would depend on just how much you want to set your limits. Some people do stick to quite strict budgets and others buy a nappy whenever they feel like! In the long run it is said to be able to save you upto £600 if you use cloth from birth and upto £800 for a second child.
I haven't really noticed any tbh, we're only putting on an extra wash, we don't have a tumble dryer so not a huge difference.
Replace? This depends i guess on what you mean. If you choose sized nappies then they go roughly newborn - small- medium - large which depending on your baby probably works out approx every 4 months. However, you cna get birth to potty nappies which go from approx 6-35lbs. A brand new nappy should last you the length of at least one child, preloved nappies your guess is as good as mine!
5.I keep hearing things like...'inserts''boosters''liners'' etc...what the heck are you all on about and how often do they need replacing if at all? lol
inserts and boosters are kind of the same thing. Some nappies need inserts and they're supplied with any pocket unless stated otherwise. Boosters are an extra piece of material you can gte that acts as an extra layer of absorbancy to increase wear time. Liners are optional and lie next to your babies skin, just helps make cleaning up poopy napies that bit easier
yes as easy as sposies
30 degree wash with occasional hotter washes, 1/4 scoop of non bio and pref air dry
8.when you take off a soiled nappy where do you put it? a pale in a nappy bag?or special bags?
When at home most people will rinse it off and then put in a pail. You can buy things called wet bags for when out and about
9.i pressume when out and about you do the norm but put the cloth nappy in a nappy bag?
I have the above mentioned wet bag, i pop any wet nappies in there and then any poopy nappies in a nappy sack in the wet bag so i know i need to sort it when i get home.
10. relatives...connah stays at nanas house sometimes,do i send her some nappies over or should she have her own there for convenience?
What do you do with disposables? It's just the same really. I mean if he doesn't go to nannas often its perhaps more cost effective to keep the nappies at yours and send some over but if he's there frequently enough and nanna doesn't mind then leave them there
11.how many do i need?
This depends on a lot of things. Just work out how many disposbales you use now. Cloth nappies should be changed every 2/3 hours but my Lo isn't a greatly heavy wetter so we get away with longer
Personally we've never had this problem, my daughters diddy and we get trim fitting nappies like itti bittis that arent really any bigger than a disposbale. For vests you can buy things called vest extenders that just popper on but we've never needed them
13. what sizes do i get?
Nappies? The easiest way is just to look at the nappies and work out the sizing and your babiesd weight, small tends to be 7-14lbs medium 14-25 etc etc It can get a bit complicated wehn you start looking in to rise and measurements but we never really look too much at that tbh
I always think it's good to get a nice mix. Just start by buying one or two, whatever you can afford and build up like that. There are no right or wrong answers here really because different things work differently for different people. There are a few common popular ones such as bumgenius, blueberry (these are birth to potty pocket nappy 6-35lbs) Itti Bitti's (sized nappies) and such like

15. one more sorry had to edit :blush: ...when LO has pooped in it...what do i do with the poop?:blush:
We just normally put it down the loo and then shower the rest off either over the toilet or in the bath. Some take it outside and hose them off.

sorry for my long list of questions but i really do want to do this and i have left it long enough really.

sorry i have to stop there as got to g put LO to bed but i'll come back n finish off after :flower:

Finished

Sorry,do the inserts need replacing often? and do you wash the inserts/liners/boosters with the nappies?:blush:x

Not really answering your questions directly as there are any other ladies who are far more knowledgeable than me, but have you checked with your council for any incentives? They often have information on cloth nappies on their websites. Worth a look!

Sorry,do the inserts need replacing often? and do you wash the inserts/liners/boosters with the nappies?:blush:x

Depending on what kind of nappy you're looking at yes they get changed with the entire nappy. An insert is effectively the absorbant bit if you will. Yes they can all be washed together. Liners you can buy disposbale ones or washable but they're optional anyway and you don't have to use at all.

Finished 1st post too :flower:

1.what are the benefits?
there are lots of small things tbh, they can work out cheaper in the long run, cloth is more breathable and incidences of nappy rash are less, cloth is so much softer against the skin
I think this would depend on just how much you want to set your limits. Some people do stick to quite strict budgets and others buy a nappy whenever they feel like! In the long run it is said to be able to save you upto £600 if you use cloth from birth and upto £800 for a second child.
I haven't really noticed any tbh, we're only putting on an extra wash, we don't have a tumble dryer so not a huge difference.
Replace? This depends i guess on what you mean. If you choose sized nappies then they go roughly newborn - small- medium - large which depending on your baby probably works out approx every 4 months. However, you cna get birth to potty nappies which go from approx 6-35lbs. A brand new nappy should last you the length of at least one child, preloved nappies your guess is as good as mine!
inserts and boosters are kind of the same thing. Some nappies need inserts and they're supplied with any pocket unless stated otherwise. Boosters are an extra piece of material you can gte that acts as an extra layer of absorbancy to increase wear time. Liners are optional and lie next to your babies skin, just helps make cleaning up poopy napies that bit easier
yes as easy as sposies
30 degree wash with occasional hotter washes, 1/4 scoop of non bio and pref air dry
When at home most people will rinse it off and then put in a pail. You can buy things called wet bags for when out and about
I have the above mentioned wet bag, i pop any wet nappies in there and then any poopy nappies in a nappy sack in the wet bag so i know i need to sort it when i get home.
What do you do with disposables? It's just the same really. I mean if he doesn't go to nannas often its perhaps more cost effective to keep the nappies at yours and send some over but if he's there frequently enough and nanna doesn't mind then leave them there
11.how many do i need?
This depends on a lot of things. Just work out how many disposbales you use now. Cloth nappies should be changed every 2/3 hours but my Lo isn't a greatly heavy wetter so we get away with longer
Personally we've never had this problem, my daughters diddy and we get trim fitting nappies like itti bittis that arent really any bigger than a disposbale. For vests you can buy things called vest extenders that just popper on but we've never needed them
13. what sizes do i get?
Nappies? The easiest way is just to look at the nappies and work out the sizing and your babiesd weight, small tends to be 7-14lbs medium 14-25 etc etc It can get a bit complicated wehn you start looking in to rise and measurements but we never really look too much at that tbh
I always think it's good to get a nice mix. Just start by buying one or two, whatever you can afford and build up like that. There are no right or wrong answers here really because different things work differently for different people. There are a few common popular ones such as bumgenius, blueberry (these are birth to potty pocket nappy 6-35lbs) Itti Bitti's (sized nappies) and such like

We just normally put it down the loo and then shower the rest off either over the toilet or in the bath. Some take it outside and hose them off.

sorry i have to stop there as got to g put LO to bed but i'll come back n finish off after :flower:

Finished

Thanks so much for that! you a star!
Think im gonna build up a little stash :happydance:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back