Cluster feeding and sleeping question.

leash27

Mummy of 2
Reaction score
So Ella had a bit of a mammoth feeding session last night and she was pretty much on the boob from 5pm until 9.30pm except for a 15 mins break whilst I quickly inhaled some dinner :thumbup: She went done to sleep about 9.45pm in her basket and then never woke again until 3.30am which is the longest she has ever slept! When she woke, she fed for about 15 mins and then went back off to sleep again until 6am.

I guess I'm just wondering if this is ok? My MW had advised that I don't let her go more than 3 hours without a feed and this has never really been an issue before as she was only ever going 2.5 - 3 hours between feeds anyway. Should I be setting my alarm to wake her up through the night? I am guessing she was so full from the 4.5 hours of feeding she didn't need to wake up but want to make sure I am doing things right!

X

I don't wake my lo for feeding and he sleeps like your lo did. I think it's only the first few weeks you should do this if you have a sleepy baby to build up your supply.

My lo has a big feed up before bed for a few hours and sleeps for longer. As long as you are getting lots of wet and dirty nappies and she's gaining weight then I wouldn't worry

Our pediatrician said after 2 weeks, we don't have to wake him for a feed.

Btw my son is Max Joseph, too! He's named after a relative on my husband's side. :)

It should be fine to leave her as long as she's not jaundiced and has been putting on weight. :)

My pediatrician told me to gice our daughter atleast 1 feeding at night for the first two months.

But we didnt need my daughters pediatrician to tell us that. She gets a last feed at midnight and then again around 3-4am. Then agan at 6am. And every 2-3 hours after that.

Looks like it was a one off anyway! We have been up at 1am and now 4.30am tonight!

X

I know they want you to wait until later to let your baby self-regulate. But here's the thing. You know she cluster-fed. She was basically tanking up for the night. So you know she had plenty of milk in her system. So, I say it's okay to let her sleep that long when you know she tanked up before going to sleep.

The main reason they want you to wake the baby up is if the baby had a normal feeding (not like the one you described) and then slept for a long time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->