Cluster Feeding? Burning Feeling? Please Help!

StayHopeful

Reaction score
My LO is 9 days old. We had some BF issues in the beginning, but the past few days have been going well. Yesterday during the day he ate every 2-3 hours, but last night he just couldn't seem to get enough. He started nursing at 11, nursed his normal 30 min or so (both sides, 30 min total), and then seemed done. He didn't want any more and started falling asleep. But as soon as I put him down, he started fussing and crying. He was acting hungry, so I fed him again for another 30 min. I checked to make sure he was getting milk by manually expressing a bit and the normal amount was coming out. Same thing, he acted done but started crying when we tried to put him down. I fed him one more time, then when he started crying again DH gave him half an ounce of formula. After that he finally fell asleep and he slept for 5 hours. He just woke up and I fed him for 20 min, then he seemed done and now he's been asleep for about 45 min. So I don't know what to think! Something similar happened one other time, but that was when my milk was coming in and my ducts were clogged but we didn't realize it, so he wasn't getting anything. This time he definitely was. I should also mention that during the time when he was nursing last night he had 4 dirty diapers. I don't know what to think or what to do! I'm just getting so frustrated, last night I was ready to give up and move to formula.

I'm also not sure what to do about the burning sensation in both breasts. I had some issues with sore/bleeding nipples at the beginning but that seems to mostly have gone away. I've met with a lactation consultant a few times, his latch looks good but my nipples are still misshapen when he comes off even now. And my letdown on both sides is very painful, like an intense, sharp burning sensation. But the past few days I've felt like my breasts have a burning sensation almost constantly. It's actually worse in between feedings and it's the breast itself, not the nipple. Has anyone else had this? Is this just a normal part of my milk supply being established (my milk came in last Fri)? Please help!!!

I just wanted to say this is my 9th day also...I did give formula for one day when in hospital but the rest breast...my little one lost weight so we have been working hard to get her to gain. She has been on the boob non stop through the night, and pretty much a lot through the day, but the night she seems so hungry..and like you, I think she must be done, I go to turn off the light to get some sleep and no sooner do I move she's on me again routing for more..this is going on for 3 hour stints at a time...on off on off...I am soooooooooooooooo shattered...so I hear you. Please god, let this just be a stage. xx

The constant feeding is absolutely a stage, and sorry to say it may last a few weeks. It's so annoying too, that it is nearly always in the evening.

I remember crying and bfing constantly from 10-2am. It does become a walk in the park once that phase is done though.
I would double check the pain though. It is normal to have some pain on latching in the first few weeks, but it should be gone by the count to 10.

Glad I'm not alone, readytobeamum! Hang in there! I'm headed to a breastfeeding support group tonight, maybe I can get a few answers about the burning feeling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->