Cluster feeding

Izzie74

Reaction score
My lo seems to need to feed very regularly for part of the day before going for longer later. It is very tiring as I can start a new feed every 30 mins or so, lasting 15-20 minutes. There is no time for me to do anything in between. I do put her down, but crying soon ensues. DH says to just let her cry, but at 3 weeks old, I don't like doing that. So far today she has had 12 feeds in 10 hours ranging from 10-22 mins when she unlatch es herself and won't go back on. Is this normal? Even when she goes longer, 2 hours is usually the most time between.

Totally normal! My baby girl cluster fed from 7 til midnight every night from about 1 week old and then she would sleep 6 hours! This stopped around 6 weeks but those 5 weeks were hard!
Even now at 12 weeks she is feeding every 1.5/2 hours in the day and every 2.5/3 hours at night!
It's very tiring! But lo is most likely building up your supply because he/she is growing!
Totally normal!

If she did it and slept for 6 hours I wouldn't mind! It's that 2 hours is her maximum before she wakes and so I rarely get more than an hour. I'm sure it will improve, but it is definitely hard psychologically and physically.

Normal. She may well just be tired out by feeding, have a rest then go back to it when she's got some energy. Also her tummy is tiny but breastmilk is easily digested so small amounts are absorbed quick. Add to that the fact she's increasing your supply as she grows and the fact that the world is an alien place she isn't used to yet, of course she will want to be in your arms lots. I remember just wanting her not "on" me 24hrs a day but if you keep in mind it will pass, then you have a chance to enjoy it for what it is and not be driven nuts wondering if this is your life now!

Completely normal. At this age you can't really worry about getting anything done. Caring for a newborn is the most important and most consuming job you'll ever have! And the clusterfeeding is completely necessary for establishing a good milk supply.

If you haven't already, look into safe co-sleeping. The frequent feedings become a lot easier when all you have to do is a stick a boob in their mouth and fall back asleep.

Firstly: congratulations! :)

Is she gaining weight well? Is she having plenty of wet and dirty nappies? Are you relatively comfortable (i.e. no nipple damage/soreness)? If yes to all these, then yes it is totally normal! She's feeding frequently to build her supply. Go with it, and learn to do things one handed. ;) She will naturally space out feedings in time. I second looking into safe co-sleeping! DD2 helps herself at night and I usually don't wake at all. Sorry your OH isn't being particularly supportive- telling you to let her cry when all your instincts scream at you to pick her up isn't helpful. :hugs:

Yes, I think it's normal! My LO cluster fed every evening for the first few weeks. At first it was frustrating because I wanted to be able to get up an get/do things, but once I got used to it, I used to get a lot of TV watched while transferring her from boob to boob.

My health visitor suggested pumping in the morning and giving a bottle of breast milk around 7pm to break the cluster feeding cycle, and that really helped us (also means Dad can give it, and you can have a break!). That depends whether you feel comfortable with giving a bottle though.

It does get better!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->