Co-care with an ob and homebirth midwife

Cjackord

Reaction score
I'm in the US so I know our system is a little whacky... Anyway, we pay for health insurance but have opted not to use it and go for a homebirth. I've been seeing the homebirth midwife regularly and the dr office when I need testing. My last appt I finally met with the ob (I've just had appts with the hospital's midwife up until the point). She came in and began a spiel about how my uterus is going to explode at a homebirth since it's a vbac and my baby and I will both die. I don't particularly enjoy going in, but since we pay for it already and we're spending a ton on a homebirth, I'd rather keep going when I need to. She doesn't agree and thinks I should be coming in regularly (she thinks it'll convince me to stop with the "nonsense" of a hbac if I see her more often).

So... My question is, did anyone else do co-care and how did you manage? I know I'd like to test for a CBC at the end of pregnancy to check iron levels and do the gbs testing, but is there anything else I'm missing? I plan on asking my midwife on Tuesday, but thought I'd check here for experiences first.

Thanks ladies!

I'm in the US so I know our system is a little whacky... Anyway, we pay for health insurance but have opted not to use it and go for a homebirth. I've been seeing the homebirth midwife regularly and the dr office when I need testing. My last appt I finally met with the ob (I've just had appts with the hospital's midwife up until the point). She came in and began a spiel about how my uterus is going to explode at a homebirth since it's a vbac and my baby and I will both die. I don't particularly enjoy going in, but since we pay for it already and we're spending a ton on a homebirth, I'd rather keep going when I need to. She doesn't agree and thinks I should be coming in regularly (she thinks it'll convince me to stop with the "nonsense" of a hbac if I see her more often).

So... My question is, did anyone else do co-care and how did you manage? I know I'd like to test for a CBC at the end of pregnancy to check iron levels and do the gbs testing, but is there anything else I'm missing? I plan on asking my midwife on Tuesday, but thought I'd check here for experiences first.

Thanks ladies!

I've been doing both, same situation as you- private insurance but choosing to pay for a homebirth midwife. Basically just "using" my OB's office for sonograms and testing since it's covered by insurance. However, check with your midwife- my midwife does the glucola testing, the group b strep, all of it. She writes the orders for it and then I can go get the labs done at a facility covered by my insurance. So we're basically done with the OB's now, we only used them for our last 20 week ultrasound and that's it. It's nice to know we have the insurance coverage to go to the hospital if needed, but hopefully won't be using it.

As for the OB's opinion- I think it's disconcerting to hear from a doctor that they completely disagree with what you are doing. We are trained and brought up in a culture of respect for doctors and their "wisdom." However, I think that that kind of opinion from an OB is to be expected- they are trained in Western medicine and used to interventions, medication, etc. Anything else is foreign to them and I wouldn't expect them to give you their blessing. Just remember, midwives are trained too and have the medical knowledge to get you your baby safely!

The MW I went to did all the testing that was required. They even had someone come in for the 20 week U/S. (They did have to send me to the MFM for the 12 week, but most of the regular OBs can't even do that.) It was also covered by my insurance. It's a shame a MW isn't covered by yours.

Your Doctor is not giving you care based on evidenced based. If she was she'd know that what she's speaking of is rare, and that is both scary and sad that a Doctor, who we are suppose to trust, doesn't give you real information.

I used a OB and MW with ds2. I saw both for regular appointments, but opted out of most standard tests with the OB since my MW did them. I will be seeing both again this time and I'm upfront about my homebirth plans and tell them before I even come in for the appointment (on the phone when I make the app).

The midwife absolutely can do all the testing for us. We did use her for the ultrasound since we had SUCH a terrible experience last time, but sending labs away for her takes days/weeks where as our giant and impersonal insurance gets it within minutes/ hours. Also, the giant insurance won't accept her orders, only their own obs (hence the having to go back...). As far as testing goes, we've done everything except genetic testing and plan on continuing that way.

The funny thing is, I really like this ob. She was straightforward and didn't lie; she even said that since my son was 8 lbs 11 oz, I should not even plan for a vaginal birth. No bait and switch there! I appreciate honesty, at the very least.

I just don't like feeling like I'm being railroaded... She was clearly trying to keep me in the "system" so that I went along with her plan of me getting to a hospital AS SOON AS I went into labor (because my uterus can explode at any time!).

This whole system makes me sick. How I just wish I could get unbiased information to make my own decisions! At this point I'm thinking I'll wait until 36 weeks to go in again and then that's it unless I need any non-stress tests or biophysical feedback profiles.

Thanks ladies!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->