Co-sleeping Confusion

Younglutonmum

Mummy To Maya & Bump
Reaction score
Right i'm really really confused about co-sleeping

In some books i've read that it's ok as long as you follow certain rules like no duvet etc

But today the HV told me it was a no go. That I shouldn't do it.

Maya sleeps the majority of the night in her moses basket but after her 5am feed I tend to bring her in with me. I also co-sleep if we're both napping.

Now I don't know what to do. I really enjoy co-sleeping & don't want to stop but now i'm scared

I've also had it drummed into me that it is a big no no and now Im really scared to have her on the bed with me if I evwen think I might drop off. TBH I wish MW's and HV's wouldnt bombard us with stuff, all the advice I've been given by my mum has been poo pooed and half of what MW told me has scared me to death.

i do the same as u jack sleeps in his basket all night them comes in with me at 5am.

as long as u flollow the rules u should be ok x

It's horrible all this conflicting advice. Really confuses me

Ive co-slept from when Skye was 2 weeks old, she just would not sleep for any length of time in her moses basket, was waking every 2 hours or so, and I was zombified while trying to feed her...falling asleep, Im surprised I didnt drop her actually. I spoke to my HV, and she said that although a lot of people disagree, co-sleeping was an option if id not considered it, which I actually hadnt. She got me a leaflet about it, and ive been happily cosleeping since. Me and Skye sleep on our own in a double bed.I use a single duvet and she uses her own covers..there is a fair gap between us. I dont really want to keep doing it forever, but right now its getting me a good nights sleep, and that really helps with life in general! I feed her once in the middle of the night and usually drop off mid feed (breastfeeding). I wouldnt have her in the bed if I was worried about rolling over on her, my OH wont sleep with her there...if its right for you, its right for you, just make sure you never drink, or take medication that might make you drowsy then cosleep.

Edit: Sorry for the huge post! lol

Ive co-slept from when Skye was 2 weeks old, she just would not sleep for any length of time in her moses basket, was waking every 2 hours or so, and I was zombified while trying to feed her...falling asleep, Im surprised I didnt drop her actually. I spoke to my HV, and she said that although a lot of people disagree, co-sleeping was an option if id not considered it, which I actually hadnt. She got me a leaflet about it, and ive been happily cosleeping since. Me and Skye sleep on our own in a double bed.I use a single duvet and she uses her own covers..there is a fair gap between us. I dont really want to keep doing it forever, but right now its getting me a good nights sleep, and that really helps with life in general! I feed her once in the middle of the night and usually drop off mid feed (breastfeeding). I wouldnt have her in the bed if I was worried about rolling over on her, my OH wont sleep with her there...if its right for you, its right for you, just make sure you never drink, or take medication that might make you drowsy then cosleep.

Edit: Sorry for the huge post! lol

This is great to here. Ive been feeling a million% confident with co-sleeping till now. I genuinely love it, especially the mornings when she's all alert & snuggly :)

Yeah its lovely waking up in the mornings all warm and well slept and having a little smiling face looking at you :) makes your heart melt!

hmm..youll feel diferent in a year when they refuse to sleep in their own bed...

hmm..youll feel diferent in a year when they refuse to sleep in their own bed...

Lol oh I really hope I don't mind!!

I think if I was sharing my bed with a sexy OH then it would be a problem but as i'm on my jack jones I like the company :)

oh now, not all kids are hard to get out of the co-sleeping routine...

I co-slept with my first, and we worked on it about a week. It was much harder to potty train her.

I co-sleep with my LO about 3 days a week for a few hours in the morning. She just sleeps between DH and I.

In the beginning, I didn't want DH to roll over on her so we got one of those co-sleeper things to go on the bed. Maybe look into that.

You can also get a cosleeper that you attach to your bed. They're in their own bed, and you just roll over, lift them out to nurse or feed, then put them back in their bed.

https://www.armsreach.com/

Articles on Co-sleeping

https://www.askdrsears.com/html/7/t071000.asp

Some people have a horrendous time getting their kids to their own bed, some don't. Again it's a bit like potty training ;)

I co-sleep and I don't care what the HV says. Do what you want. She's your baby and they know nothing.

do what you feel is right , i have never co slept and never will as all family members had a hard time getting there kids to there own bed a few years down the line.. no thank you!! :lol:
But if your happy do what you want i dont listen to HV .. aload of plop!

I coslep for the first 3-3.5 months and still do for 2-3 naps during the day :lol:
I still use all my pillows, our comforter, etc.. colton uses our comforter as his blanket aswell when he sleeps with us. Although, Colton doesn't move aroundin his sleep. He does tend to move around when he wakes though (I've woken up to him turned sideways and some baby feet on my shoulder! :p )

Right i'm really really confused about co-sleeping

In some books i've read that it's ok as long as you follow certain rules like no duvet etc

But today the HV told me it was a no go. That I shouldn't do it.

Maya sleeps the majority of the night in her moses basket but after her 5am feed I tend to bring her in with me. I also co-sleep if we're both napping.

Now I don't know what to do. I really enjoy co-sleeping & don't want to stop but now i'm scared

If you don't want to stop, then don't stop...it's that simple! If you are confident in your choice, then what else matters? :) Co-sleeping is an amazing feeling, knowing they are safe, and your getting sleep!!! I'd ignore your HV!!!

I co-sleep with Bella. We have an arms reach co-sleeper. She slept for the first 3 months in there until about 4 and then she comes to our bed, usually. She's started sleeping in her crib until she wakes up at about 4 and then she sleeps in the co-sleeper or with me.

Kelly I've got this bought for co-sleeping. I'm going to be spending far too much time away from her far too early, and I want to co-sleep for the first little while. So I bought this:

https://www.travelswithbaby.com/images/snuggle_nest.jpg

I personally don't mind if she is difficult to get out. Just for the fact that I have nobody in bed with me, I'm going to be away from her in the days, and I just really would want to have her in bed with me.

I co-slept with my son and loved it. Do what you feel is best for your baby and not what everyone else wants.

Kaida co sleeps with us all the time.. or mainly me. My other half usually sleeps on the couch. He likes a full nights sleep and it give Kaida and I more room. In fact it's the only time I can actually get some rest.
I know many children who have co slept with their parent(s). Most were easy enough to switch to their own beds.

Do what you feel is right for you.

I however, personally do not think it is safe AT ALL, and whether people want to admit it or not, the doctors and midwives are correct. To me it is SIDS just waiting to happen, or another accident.... On top of that, anyone i've spoken to has said it is absolute hell getting their children to go to their own rooms.

Plus, I value my time with my OH too much. IMO, that is our bed, only people who sleep in it are myself and him. Its a chance for us to cuddle and spend alone time together, talk whatever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->