Co-sleeping - how do you know when it's time to stop?

elm

Mama
Reaction score
We've been co-sleeping since Elliot was born then a few weeks ago I was told not to bf Elliot at night because of medication I was on (which turned out to be rubbish advice!) so I moved out of the bed so I could get some sleep and he didn't get all frustrated.

Since then he doesn't seem to settle well at all when I'm in the bed, he wakes and wants to latch on constantly and I'm wondering if it's because I keep disturbing him. When it's just him and dp in the bed he sleeps loads better and I think it's because he has half the bed to himself?!

Was just wondering if anyone else has any experience of babies being ready to move to their own beds. We'll try it out as soon as we get his bed sorted but I don't want to move him if he's not ready.... :(

Thanks

(this was a thread with the beyonce thing on but then I spotted it had already been posted!!! thanks counting down x)

I thought I was losing my marbles then for a second lol x

I think if he seems to sleep worse cosleeping then I would try him on his own. My dr said some babies when they really become more aware of things going on can be disturbed by parents moving, making any noise and end up sleeping worse so they actually need their own space...some don't, and still sleep better.

id say he sounds like he needs his own bed, if you have a cot could u not put the cot up next to the bed, i have leylas cot right up against my side of the bed so she has her own space and can move about wherever she wants buy can see im still there if she needs me, if i put her in our bed she just plays lol so it works out perfectly

x

Thanks, we've got a travel cot thing we've never used so I'm sorting that out for him to see if he likes it. I got it for day time naps but I think it'll do for a trial out of our bed before I can get his bed sorted and a mattress bought etc.

I thought he'd be much older when he decided to leave us! At least it'll be something to tell those people who say 'you'll never get rid of him' if he does move out!!!

x

You could always try sleeping with him, then your oh then you see if that makes a difference as it wont be as easy for him to smell milk and want to root all night long. Maybe try the travel cot by the side of the bed in your room first then move it out so its not so much of a big change xx

He slept really well for the first part of sleeping in the travel cot next to the bed but then after we'd gone to bed he was a bit more unsettled and woke at 4 am, I fed him but he didn't seem to want to go back in the cot so I took him back into bed and he slept soundly from 6 am to 9.50 am?! Not sure what to make of that.

I can't sleep in the same room very easily now - I'm listening out for his breathing, think I'm doing it more because he's not right next to me now.... I slept away from him last night to get some sleep but will try it again tonight. We'll get his room sorted so we can try him in there.

Thanks for your suggestions and advice x

Sleeping well in the travel cot until 4am for the first night is great! :thumbup: I know you don't desperately want co-sleeping to end so I guess it's be a nice compromise anyway if he's in his bed for the first part of the night so he can sleep well and then in with you for the second part :hugs:

My LO starts out in his co-sleeper (separate from me -- sorta), then ends up in bed next to me after his first feed. That seems to be working well for us atm. When I started putting him in the co-sleeper, I think I woke more easily than I do now. It was as if my mind was listening too hard for him but then adjusted better after a few nights.

Halen has started going into his own bed as he sleeps better in it, if he's in bed with us he takes a long while to settle and even when he does he sleeps very lightly and wakes up a lot.

I moved Tabs when i seemed to be waking her up...she went right into her cot without a problem and slept even better. Good Luck!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->