Cold sore and newborn

dragonfly26

Reaction score
Ugh! I have a cold sore, I don't recall ever having had one before now. I woke up no signs of anything laid down for a nap, woke up felt a bit of pain thought getting a zit didn't see anything took shower, asked hubby to look (hadn't looked in the mean time) and there was a cluster of tiny bumps, so a cold sore, freaking out now. Any one have any experience with cold sores and newborns? I called her doc and they said keep an eye out, but of course I'm freaking!!!

Thank you, I really need to stop googling and try and relax, although impossible :cry:

Dr. Google is the worst, although it's definitely something I struggle with not consulting too. If the doctor isn't worried though, then take comfort from that. Most likely everything will be fine (most of the planet gets cold sores and I've never heard of anything bad happening to babies from it) :hugs:

Dr. Google is the worst, although it's definitely something I struggle with not consulting too. If the doctor isn't worried though, then take comfort from that. Most likely everything will be fine (most of the planet gets cold sores and I've never heard of anything bad happening to babies from it) :hugs:

The cold sore virus is known to be lethal to newborns.

OP, it is good you've spotted it. If you are breastfeeding baby will get some immunity from that. Otherwise regular hand washing, avoid touching your face etc. Any concerns baby may be poorly get them checked out.

I know, but I was trying to avoid the whole "you could potentially kill your newborn if you're not careful" vibe since she's already stressed out over it, and instead linked the AAP website that discusses the affects it can have on a baby. :)

I get them a lot. If you're really worried about spreading it to your baby, you could buy some cold sore patches to cover it up? The patches are supposed to aid healing as well,

I know, but I was trying to avoid the whole "you could potentially kill your newborn if you're not careful" vibe since she's already stressed out over it, and instead linked the AAP website that discusses the affects it can have on a baby. :)

Thank you this exactly. I was hoping to hear some positive replies, I know how bad it could be that's why I'm freaking. I thought that with nearly 90% of people having come in contact or carry or have this, that there would be someone who has had this and everything be ok.

Thank you this exactly. I was hoping to hear some positive replies, I know how bad it could be that's why I'm freaking. I thought that with nearly 90% of people having come in contact or carry or have this, that there would be someone who has had this and everything be ok.

I know many people that get cold sores, and even a few that have HSV-2 (genital herpes) - none of them have had any complications with their children. Of course something could always happen, but that's true with anything in life. Even just driving down the road to go grocery shopping has risk. You just do what you can to minimize the risk, and continue along. I'm sure everything will be fine, especially since you're aware and taking precautions :hugs:

I got one when my DS was 2 weeks old I just did what your doing plenty of hand washing and resisting the urge to kiss his little pudgy face off. I just kept an eye on him and his temperature. I've gotten a few since and I still panic a little. He has never gotten one but it's getting harder to avoid the kiss because his 9 months old and goes in for a sloppy kiss when I least expect it.

I got one when my DS was 2 weeks old I just did what your doing plenty of hand washing and resisting the urge to kiss his little pudgy face off. I just kept an eye on him and his temperature. I've gotten a few since and I still panic a little. He has never gotten one but it's getting harder to avoid the kiss because his 9 months old and goes in for a sloppy kiss when I least expect it.

Thanks! I really appreciate the positive story. I imagine that there are people out there that don't even realize that it is so dangerous for newborns and just go on about there day like nothing. I hate I have my stomach in knots about this. I just keep telling myself I know what to look for it will be ok, not working so well but keep trying to rationalize. So sorry for babbling and thank you again for the reply.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->