Colic - Help!

marley2580

Reaction score
Kaya seems to be a very colicy baby. Some nights she's fine and then some nights are like last night, when she was awake and not settling from 9pm until 6am! I'm shattered. The OH is back at work and having to get up at 5am and not getting home until 6pm, so I have to get up with her and take her downstairs so he can get his sleep. The only thing which seems to sooth her is her vibrating bouncer and even that's a bit hit and miss. Does anyone have any advice or tips for coping with colic?

Does swaddling help her? Is she crying non stop from 9pm - 6am? That seems a really long time for colic? Does holding her in an upright position help?

Might sound bizarre but when my daughter was tiny she went through a crying stage every night from about 10-12 and the only thing that settled her walking up and down stairs (quite quickly) about 10 times.

I read a good book once called "Contented baby on the block" by Dr Harvey Karp. It made a lot of sense when it talked about babies being born a trimester too soon as they aren't equipped to cope with the outside world and how by trying to create a womb like environment for them as much as possible for the first few weeks should help to settle them.

Coby had colic untill he was 3 months old, he used to scream from betyween 5pm and 9pm eahc night, there was nothing i could do to settle him really, only swaddle him and pace teh floor back and forth with him upright on my shoulder.

Its horrible when they cry and you cant do anything, hope things ease off soon for you

x

It's not constant. It begins with her constantly wanting to feed (not good for my sore nipples!) then she won't sleep and often cries, then she eats and sleeps for about 20 minutes before waking up and crying, then she eats and cries almost immediatly, then she finally eats then sleeps for a good 3 hours. She's better when upright and getting shoogled. When she cries, it tends to be bursts of crying as if she's getting a sudden pain - I think it's trapped wind as she's better if she farts. We've been giving her Infacol for the last week and it helps a bit, but not totally. Go to go as she's starting again!

Hi Marley

Sounds a bit like cluster feeding to me. This is supposedly when the little one is filling up and up on the milk to help them go a longer stretch at night. It's usually only a thing they do for the first couple of months then it should get a bit easier. Does she fall asleep on your boob then you take her off to put her to her bed then she wakes again and wants a feed? If that's the case try keeping her more awake to take a better feed - stripping her to her nappy, tickling her feet etc.

What about "Gripe Water" ? Have you tried that, I hear it works wonders.

hi found this hope its useful to u https://pediatrics.about.com/cs/breastfeeding/a/colic.htm

looks like you are breastfeeding.

I read that certain foods you eat can cause colic for the baby.

they say you should leave out dairy products and green things like broccoli, cabbage, beans etc. of your diet and see whether your baby gets better!

try to burp her after every feed, massage her tummy and leave her tummy down on your arm as they say this makes it easier for them to pass wind.

in the beginning, mine was timewise like she wanted to be fed constantly as well! (was exhausting!) they say sometimes they need to have sucking for comfort!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->