Colic

spoo

Mum to Harry and Emily
Reaction score
Hi all

I have been bfeeding DD for 4 months now and she has suffered with colic a handful of times. I have tried giving her dentinox, infacol and gripe water, but is there anything else I can do to soothe her when shes so distressed? Shes inconsolable and often ends up falling asleep through exhaustion. This afternoon's episode wasn't too bad in the end, she slept for about an hour after then fed nicely. The time before that she cried for 5 hours straight :(

Thanks girlies!

It's so difficult when they are really windy and uncomfortable, isn't it? I used to lay Pops on her back and gently bring her knees up to her chest repeatedly. Also, baby massage seemed to help. They showed us a particular stroke to ease wind and colic.

Up over the shoulder works best for Abby. But we also found that heat made a big difference. We would sit with a wee hot water bottle on her tummy, and when we put her down in her basket, we'd have had the hot water bottle in there for a wee while too. What a smile came over her face! For her daytime naps we put her down to sleep on her tummy, where the bottle had been and she settled a lot quicker. Obviously keeping an eye on her when she was on her tummy and not leaving her with the HWB are a couple of safety points to note!

It is absolutely heart breaking, isn't it. Sometimes a mummy cuddle wont stop the crying but I'm sure is still welcome.

I find up over the shoulder works, keeping her back straight and rubbing it helps, baby massage works, also let your LO kick with out her nappy on i find mine gets a lot of wind out herself that way, it's as if she's 'free'. Movement helps get my LO's wind up.

Mine has suffered with colic from the day she was born it's been a total nightmare. I was giving her infacol but have noticed it's making her sick so i've had to stop.

Good luck and hope something works for you.

I always found laying her tummy down across my knees worked well... and kind of jiggling them gently, or rubbing her back.

I also found sitting and bouncing on my yoga ball while cradling her worked awesome too! I swear by this... Even on the worst nights she would settle with the yoga ball.

Awwww thanks girls, I'll definitely have a go at some of those! The hot water bottle sounds good, makes sense as it helps with cramps anyway...

I'm trying to find a local baby massage class at the moment, think it can only help :)

Is there a hot water bottle designed for babies? If so where can I get one? thanks

My LO stuggled really badly with Colic from 3 weeks. We tried every medicine under the sun!! Eventually I took him to a cranial osteopath. 2 weeks later he is perfect. Not sure if it was just the cranial osteopath or a combination of that and his age but I would highly recommend it!! I also drink fennel tea to help him (add a little sugar!!!)
Hope you find something that works!!

Over the shoulder and walking around works for Theakston. He starts whinging the minute you stand still or sit down but as long as you're walking around and he's right over the shoulder, with his belly to your collarbone, he's happy and then once he's got his wind up, he'll take Infacol, then about a 3min feed before falling asleep.

I had to hold my little guy who had colic really bad around the tummy, facing out. The pressure helped. I tried everything else.. Also, I found out that my drinking milk was causing it..Also, put her in the sink and let warm water run over her tummy. Don't know why, but it helps so much!

don't know if its any help for you, but we've found isabel's wind pains have got better by winding her during a feed as well as after...now if there's a natural break in feeding (when she unlatches) i try to wind her before carrying on and she's definately better in the evenings now

also, as the others said, baby massage (things like cycling her legs and gently rubbing her belly in clockwise direction)

thx for all your suggestions girlies, i'm finding a warmbath b4 bed helps too.

btw anyone else becoming a pro at typing singlehandedly? haha

I had to hold my little guy who had colic really bad around the tummy, facing out. The pressure helped. I tried everything else.. Also, I found out that my drinking milk was causing it..Also, put her in the sink and let warm water run over her tummy. Don't know why, but it helps so much!

Probably the heat, plus it is very relaxing!

The food thing is another tip. There are a list of things which can aggravate colic, one of them is dairy. The only dairy I had was cheese and milk and occasionally cream in a sauce. I've cut that out and it has made a big difference. (it's also helping my waistline!!) Tomatoes are apparently quite bad too.

I've also had Abby at the chirporactor for a couple of weeks. As well as helping the colic, she is moving much easier now, apparently her neck was quite stiff and that was definitely making her whinge!

...All typed one handed!!.....:happydance:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->