Colourful funeral

Nats21

Reaction score
Hiya. I have got a funeral next week and have been advised that the family want it to be 'a colourful dresscode'. I've only ever been to funerals where I've worn black. Does anyone have ideas on what things I should wear as everything I find just seems wrong to wear or to bright etc. Thanks xx

Why not wear black trousers and a black suit jacket with a brightly coloured top and shoes to match. I did this with my gran's funeral because i wanted to keep it bright but it felt a little weird not wearing black to a funeral.

I'd go with maybe black trousers and a colourful top/scarf.
You could wear a coloured dress and black jacket over it so you're not all black but not uncomfortably colourful either.

:hugs: I hate funerals :hugs:

I had to go to a funeral like that too and so didn't know what to wear. I ended up in black trousers, a black jacket and a pale pink top. I figured that if most people were in black then I'd keep the jacket on and if there were lots of colours then I could take it off. A lot of the congregation were in black as word hadn't filtered to everyone and some people felt it wasn't appropriate.

if it said colourful id wear whatever! ive never worn black to a funeral. at my friend's this year i wore a red dress.

If they've said colourful id go colourful, so id wear something smart in any colour.
Ive only been to funerals where ive wore black but if they want you to wear colour then i would!!

With my girls I asked people to include somewhere within their outfit a colour that I associated with them, so for Honey's funeral people wore mostly black but had something pink or yellow within their outfit and with Riley Rae most people wore black and purple. I wore a black skirt and blouse for Honey with a yellow ribbon tied in my hair and around my waist, matt wore all black with a pink tie etc. With Riley Rae I wore a black maxi dress and purple cardigan, perhaps that is an idea for you the main outfit black but a jacket/cardigan etc bright coloured?

Can't say I've ever been to a colorful funeral, but I been to ones of where people wear pretty much everything. I stick with gray, white, and black.

Some appropriate colors I've seen worn to a funeral were emerald green, true red, purple, navy, and cobalt blue. Anyone of those paired with black or grey would be smart.

I have worn grey trousers with a navy top before. I think I would try and stay away from black if they have said colourful.

Before my Mum passed away she had insisted that nobody wore black at the funeral. Most people wore football shirts from her favourite team. I wore blue, her favourite colour.

at my ex's funeral his family wanted colours, so i wore black trousers and and a bright top x

If the family want you to wear colours then I think it is very important that you respect their wishes. As others have said what about darker trousers with a colourful top/ jewellery and your usual jacket.

At my Mum's funeral we had a non- religious service. She had chosen a song which meant a lot to her and us as a family, Dad chose a song and so did I. Dad, myself and a family friend were the only people who spoke and their was no minister/ hymns etc. One of my Mum's sister took a huge huff as she said it wasn't appropriate...it was the funeral my Mum planned so why does she have the right to decide something is inappropriate? Our son's funeral was the same- no hymns, 3 songs we chose and only OH and I spoke. Many people have reasons for deviating from the traditional funeral service and I think it is important that as mourners we respect their choices.

TBH, I've only ever been to "colourful" funerals.

I would wear something tasteful and smart, not too casual. If they have specifically said colours, then wear colours.

Hope the day goes as well as can be expected :hugs:

for our sons funeral we asked everyone not to wear black, i wear a royal blue flowery dress and my husband wore a grey suit with a royal blue tie as we were getting married 4 weeks after and our theme was royal blue n grey so it was our way of including it a little, i think if its a colourful funeral respect the family and wear bright things, thats all i wanted to see etc x

Thanks everyone for your help :hugs: I've decided i'm going to go with black trousers and a colourful top (either red or blue). I always wanted to go with colourful clothes to respect their wishes but I just didn't want to be to colourful and for it to look disrespectful in a way xxx

It won't be disrepectful :hugs: Someone I know's brother died recently, he had special needs and wanted everyone to wear pink to his funeral. It was very sweet to see people carry out his wish.

It wont be disrespectful at all. There is a reason they chose colours :hugs: It meant a lot to me when people followed our wishes

I went to one a few months back that was a colourful one or 'football' shirts and I felt it lacked 'something'. I cant put my finger on the word...respect, dignity...something! I think it was mainly because all those who attended just wore a footie shirt and jeans...it just looked scruffy. I would wear something colourful if I were you...but make it smart. x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->