Combating Iron Tablet effects

waiting2c

Reaction score
Hey all, I have been on Iron tablets since 24 weeks, they want me to take 2 a day but I tried this and it bunged me up terribly. I am doing one which still isn't great in that department but seems to clear every few days. Sorry this is all very TMI.

I went to pharmacy and most of the options for getting things moving contain sugars which I don't want to do as have GD. Am eating fruit, but limiting so keep levels under control.

My levels haven't changed between 24 and 32 weeks, i guess good in that they haven't gone down but they also haven't increased. They now really want me to take 2 a day till 36 weeks or I will have to have some form of infusion. I am so tired all the time but not sure if this is just working and looking after the other two, or down to iron.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make this work?

Have you tried Miralax ? It is sugar free and safe during pregnancy :thumbup:

I haven't heard of it, will google to see if we have it here :) Thanks!

Try taking it over night. Or wrap the tablet in bread. It should also be accompanied with vitamin c

I feel you, waiting. I'm supposed to take them 2x a day, but once a day is about all I can manage. :( They said there isn't any alternative in terms of slow release tablet they could prescribe and she didn't have any tips to help me keep it down.

I've tried with a snack, with a meal, waiting 15-20 minutes after eating to take pill, before bed. Except I can't take a acid reflux pill within 3 hrs of the iron tablet, and I always have reflux before bed, so it's like a juggle!! I'm at wits end, lol.

Have you tried a stool softener like docusate? Totally safe in pregnancy. My midwife gave me some samples of iron-polysaccharide complex to try (all other iron supplements make me super nauseous and constipated).

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->