Comfort Issues

c1403

Reaction score
So...we are 4 weeks in and things are going okay. (It was at this stage I stopped BF DD1 because I couldn't cope and I feel the complete opposite this time which is great)

We have one problem it now seems and that is getting myself and the baby comfy when feeding.

I struggle to hold her during feeds without my arms/hands/wrists aching from supporting her, I find myself leaning forward that gives me a back ache and my wrists hurts from supporting her head to my breast....she also seems to get frustrated with my big boobs and constantly slips off the breast and looses our latch (not all the time but at least half the time).
I express a little before a feed as she also struggles with the flow and tugs off the nipple coughing.

I am in no pain so I know we are doing well and we just need to master the positioning and latch now. We have a boppy cushion but even that doesn't seem to get her 'high' enough to hold her comfortably, I still have to hold her up to my breast. I feel like i need a million pillows.

I am going to a LLL Group tomorrow so really hoping someone there can help us. Trying to nurse in public or at others homes feels impossible without my mountain of pillows.

Appreciate any advise. We tend to do the cradle or football hold. She doesn't seem to like me lying down and I tried holding her upright (like a koala) but she slips off even more.

Are you using both arms? For cradle I used to put lo head in the crook of my elbow and hold his bottom end with my other arm. Maybe you could look into a sling?

I have a my brest friend pillow, I believe it's called. I found it to be more comfortable than the boppy. It deff gets the baby up higher so you don't have to lean forward as much.

Have you tried reclined feeding? It is all the rage in bf advice now (I'm sure LLL will talk to you about it) but I don't know how easy it is to master as it wasn't talked about when I first had LO (although I did something similar when feeding her in the bath). Your body in a reclined position will support LO without you needing to hold her 'up'.

Hi All
We are doing much better. I think the problem was my breast being too big so I now hold it as she feeds and its going much better.
Also I try laying back first and then latching her as moving her after she is latched means she slips off....we still have our moments and I am getting used to feeding with no pillows (although I have no hands free to do anything)

Thanks for advise and pointers

C

Hi All
We are doing much better. I think the problem was my breast being too big so I now hold it as she feeds and its going much better.

If you roll a thin wash cloth up and place it under your breast it can help hold it upwards so you don't have to hold it yourself.

A diagonal feeding position with her legs nestled at your crotch can also help support her weight and attach more easily if your nipples point down a bit. See image (not me) that a lady has been kind enough to put on the internet to show her feeding with large greasts.

https://generallycrispy.files.wordpress.com/2012/08/2011jan12-009-1.jpg

Heya :) Glad things are going better. I am plus size with big breasts and 4 months into breastfeeding (and loving it!). It is harder with large breasts definitely, I do something similar to the picture the pp sent, I have my legs crossed and she sort of sits with her bum down the hole and legs and head on either of my thighs, with her head turned towards boobie. I do lean forwards but only as it's comfortable. I could only do this now she is a bit bigger though.
It's very hard to feed with baby in the crook of your arm with big breasts isn't it? We have just about learnt how to do it if we're in an awkward chair out and about etc. She is laying accross my lap and her head is loosely on my forarm and with my other hand I angle my nipple up a bit.

I used cushions for a good while but now at 4 months it's very easy and we have our own way, it gets easier and easier as they get bigger. I even feed her with her sitting upright on my knee now sometimes if she is very awake, which is fun! Keep going mamma, you're awesome <3

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Burgess422
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->