• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Comfort sucking... how?

ThunderPearls

Mum to 1 cheeky monkey!
Reaction score
I know that lots of babies use the boob for comfort like what a soother/pacifier is used for.

My question is: When a baby comfort sucks do they also get milk at the same time or do they suck differently just to suck rather than feed?

My boy is used to a soother so sucks quite hard on it and obviously doesnt get milk. I tried to comfort nurse him today instead of his soother but he got quite upset as he was also getting milk which he didn't want. I know he wasn't hungry as he also rejected the bottle and only calmed with his soother. Does this mean he doesn't know how to suck just for comfort from my boob without getting milk? Or did he just not want my boob for comfort? Or does he just prefer his soother?

I really want to get him to use my boob for a while as the stinulation will help milk supply but not sure how to go about it if he just wants to suck without getting milk!

My LO might get a little bit of milk here and there, but she does not nurse as assertively, so if she does get milk while comfort sucking it is probably very little!

They get milk all the time. When they are hungry they may get a more forceful let down just drawn on by the vigorous suck. Comfort suck from the breast is an excellent technique to stimulate more milk production. I would try to let him calm on the soother for a little bit and then try the boob again.

Yeah he gets a little milk when he comfort sucks, but not a lot. It almost tickles when he comfort sucks because it is so soft. I had pretty fast let down and fast flow (especially in one boob) so if he doesn't want milk really he barely sucks, it's really soft and fast, in little bursts...it's quite different from drinking for milk.

Thanks :) I think he just needs to learn to suck softer then! He has a really strong suck on his soother, and its probably a good thing for feeding time but poor thing was spluttering whilst comfort sucking! Never thought I would be upset at him getting milk from me haha!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kayzee94
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->