Comfort sucking making baby sick

callmedan

Reaction score
When baby feeds I've noticed when she finishes feeding she either falls asleep at the breast or carries on comfort sucking for another 10 mins (can tell she's not feeding properly during this time as less swallows and much slower, her eyes are normally closed but she is awake)
However the past few days when she does the comfort sucking it has made her sick, including once in the night in her sleep no crying or noise so didn't wake me or DH up, very scary to wake up to
Shall I take her off the breast when she starts comfort sucking? She cries for a minute when I do and roots a bit then is fine so I know she's not hungry still
We are still using nipple shields and struggling with latch when I try just the breast (it's like she can't get a proper grip) so don't really want to introduce a dummy yet so I don't confuse her

Personally, if it isn't causing you discomfort I would let her keep sucking. She may not be swallowing as much as at the beginning of the feed but what she is getting is more concentrated. Also, by leaving her on she is continuing to create the demand for an adequate milk supply.
This 'comfort sucking' is normal but it doesn't suit every mummy.
As for the vomiting, it may be that your little one needs burping even at night. Some breastfeed babies need it, others don't :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->