Coming off BCP to prep for TTC

Jsha128

Reaction score
So I'll be finishing my BCP's next month (last active pill 20 May 2016) and then we'll be waiting a couple of months to let my cycles regulate before officially TTC. But who knows, maybe we'll just start NTNP at some point.

I'm a little nervous about stopping BCP as have been on it for past 11 years without a break (mostly combined pill, with 6 month stint of mini pill a few years ago). I remember horrible cramps and heavy AF before the pill but was so long ago...

But can't wait to take this next step...

Anyone been through the transition or going to soon?

If you don't have a reason why you can't try sooner, like you need to be traveling overseas for work in exactly 9 months time, etc., I wouldn't wait for your cycles to 'regulate' before you try. More than likely, if you're healthy, your cycles will come back completely normally straight away, and trying in the first couple months after you stop the pill allows you to take advantage of the fertility boost many women have right after they stop hormonal contraception. Now, if you absolutely can't get pregnant right now for very practical reasons that's one thing (in that case, I'd stay on the pill), but otherwise go for it. I was on the pill for 13 years before we started TTC (I was also 31 when I came off it, so literally had been on it since I was 18). I came off, my cycles were totally normal straight away, and I was pregnant 2nd cycle. My friend who was the same, on the pill well over a decade, in her 30s, was pregnant within weeks of stopping BC, without even having a period first, twice (with her daughter who is now 6 and her son who is 2). Had either of us waiting a few months, we might have missed out on that fertility boost and not gotten pregnant as easily. Of course, it's impossible to know, unless you've had fertility testing, if it will be as easy for you, but I wouldn't feel like you have to wait to get perfect cycles before actively trying because lots of women get pregnant easily straight away. I'll be doing the same this next time around, staying on pill til we're ready, then stopping in October when it's time to TTC.

As for what it's like to come off the pill, the only difference I noticed was ovulation pain. I did get some very obvious cramping around ovulation, but it's short-lived. Otherwise, it was totally fine.

I came off the pill about 2 months ago. Unfortunately I stopped mid pack because I missed some pills and started to bleed anyways so I just threw them away :haha: which resulted in me having one long cycle and then a regular 28 day cycle. I haven't really noticed any difference other than my AF is a little heavier off the pill. (I barely bleed at all on the pill) this will be our first month really trying so I'm excited 😄 With dd2 I came off the pill had one regular period and then was pregnant next cycle. I'm crossing my fingers it will be that easy this time as well 😄 Good luck to you! Lots of :dust:

Hi, I stopped BCP at Christmas, looking to try in September for my first. I wanted to give my body a break and let my periods regulate. I'm 33 and been on BCP non stop since 17. I know you reportedly get a boost in fertility just after stopping but personally was interested in letting my body just be 'natural' for a while. My periods (I've had 3 due 4th any day) have been a bit heavier but as the other poster said, on BCP there were incredibly light. I noticed my nipples became more sensitive, and tracked this to after ovulation. I've also noticed mucus which appears mid way and I'm pretty sure I ovulate the day after I get this. No huge weight gain or loss, maybe a slight increase in acne this month, no horrendous cramps or bleeds. I was expecting worse!! Good luck, an exciting time!! X

They say you're most fertile after you stop the pill, so if it was me, I wouldn't wait.

Also, I had quite irregular periods, they were heavy, long and painful. I came off the pill in November and my periods have got back to be mostly regular, 3-6 days long and no cramping.

Thanks for your replies 🙂 I've read so many different posts on here and other places so it's hard to know what will happen. Will just have to wait and see I guess.

A slight change in plans since my last post though... I get terrible headaches during my placebo pill week, I mean terrible to the point where I can't eat or have the lights on and have even had to go to the hospital once. And for the past few months the headache has lingered (just slight pain) for almost two weeks which means I basically have some form of headache for half of the month.

So after another one of the bad ones yesterday we've decided that I might as well just finish here and not start my next pill packet this weekend. I might end up having other symptoms instead but I figure it probably won't be as bad.

But we're looking to go overseas later in the year and I wouldn't want to be too heavily pregnant. Think we'll probably start actively trying in July or August.

Should I start taking a prenatal vitamin now so if it does happen earlier than expected I'll have good levels of folic acid etc?

I was on BCP forever, literally like 15+ years without stopping. Stopped taking them September 2014. Was pregnant October 2014. And I'm considered advanced maternal age too.

Hang in there. I got headaches and cramps the first month. You're body needs to find its new "normal." Good luck!

I have literally just stopped taking my pill so my cycles can return to normal. i am waiting until october though to ttc #3 as i want a summer baby, i already have 2x january birthdays x

Everyone is different and their bodies react differently to BCP. I had healthy regular periods before BCP, was on it 4 years had a break (regular periods straight back to normal) and then went back on it for 3 years. Second time I came off it to start a family and periods never regulated. They were all over, had two in one month, then 3 months without, some were 21 days, some 38. Discovered I wasn't ovulating at all, then after 9 months of TTC fell pregnant (purely by chance - doctor advised BD'ing every 2/3 days just in case I randomly ovulated!) and after having my DD my periods returned back to normal. My problems were put down to the pill and I've refused to go back on it and let my body naturally fall in to its own cycle.
If you're planning on TTC I would start taking a prenatal vitamin :)

Good advice! I'm still taking my vitamins....mainly cause I'm EP so I figure, heck...why not.

Today is cd 11 and 2 weeks since my last active pill. Not much to report. Have had a but if a headache most days, but nothing too terrible.

I decided to stop the pill early because if I stopped right when we wanted to TTC and then my cycles were all over the place, I'd wish I had stopped earlier. They might still be all over the place by the time we decide to go ahead but hopefully will be a little closer to becoming regular.

In December I went off the pill after 10+ years on to try NFP. I am moving toward a more natural lifestyle and wanted to get of the hormones.

I didn't expect that much of a difference, but OH BOY, I loved being off the pill. The way I can describe it... when I am on the pill all of my emotions are muted- happy, sad, excited, sexy, angry. I felt like I had come out of a cloud!

DH was very worried at first, as he had never known me without the pill. He was thrilled. He said that me being off the pill magnifiied of all of the reasons he fell in love with me (and also made me talk A LOT, apparently.)

Unfortunately, I had to get back on the pill after only 3 months, due to unchangeable travel plans and worries about the Zika virus. Going from on, to off, to back on again really helped me to see the difference in myself on and off the pill.

DH and I are both extremely excited to get through the next little bit and get back to hormone-free NFP then TTC!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->