Computer virus

LuckyYem

mum to 2 beautiful girls
Reaction score
Hi all, just a little warning for you, my computer was infected on Tuesday morning. It was a really nasty virus that disabled my antivirus firewall etc (Nortons). The only way I could get rid of it was to reset my laptop to factory settings, as windows kept shutting my laptop down 1min after it was logged on. My laptop is totally clean now. The thing that really pi$$es me off is I use 5/6 sites, don't open any email unless I know who its from etc, DH doesn't bother with the laptop so it wasn't him, so god knows where it came from. Just be on you're guard ladies!

Viruses seem to come out of nowhere. I had one last year and actually had to take it to a computer repair place because it screwed up the computer and I couldn't seem to fix it. The guys at the place fixed it but still, ugh, so annoying.

I had one last year that took over my screen saying it was the police and that basically I was in trouble for being a paedophile....it's mad

If you get a virus the best thing you can do is shut down and then restart, pressing F8 before the home screen comes up.

This puts the computer into a safe mode - then go to the start button and do a system restore. This will put your computer back to where it was at a previous date prior to the virus - it usually works and is much less invasive than a factory setting restore.

I have also found anti-virus software more trouble than its worth - they don't stop viruses, they slow your computer down massively and are a general pain in the bum.

If you get a virus the best thing you can do is shut down and then restart, pressing F8 before the home screen comes up.

This puts the computer into a safe mode - then go to the start button and do a system restore. This will put your computer back to where it was at a previous date prior to the virus - it usually works and is much less invasive than a factory setting restore.

I have also found anti-virus software more trouble than its worth - they don't stop viruses, they slow your computer down massively and are a general pain in the bum.

We did what you suggested above and after several recovery attempts by the laptop over several hours the restore factory settings was the only option left (on the screens) believe me we tried everything!

We did what you suggested above and after several recovery attempts by the laptop over several hours the restore factory settings was the only option left (on the screens) believe me we tried everything!

Mine was meant as general advice as a first port of call for viruses, obviously there are going to be times when it is not enough but it works for the vast majority.

Mine was meant as general advice as a first port of call for viruses, obviously there are going to be times when it is not enough but it works for the vast majority.

:thumbup: oh I know just didn't word my reply very well :blush:. It would seem the virus we had was just a nasty one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->