Confirmation Blood Test?

victoria1987

Reaction score
I have a question, well I got 6 (yes six! :blush:) BFPs on home tests including a FRER. I called the midwife to schedule booking in appointment and asked if they needed a confirmation blood test even though I have taken a number of hpts, they said not to worry about it as they would do the blood work at my first appointment. So I though no problem.

YET, my DH has (without my permission) told pretty much everyone he knows and they all say "has she gotten the blood test, she needs the blood test otherwise you don't know for sure, If she doesn't get the blood test now you won't know if baby is healthy etc." I feel like people are looking at me like I am already an unfit mother and making the wrong choices. May I add that almost all of these people do not have children and the ones that do had them 30+ years ago. I am really irritated.

I will obviously be getting all the blood work that is called for at my first appointment to insure that myself and baby are healthy. I have no problem with them (I'm not even afraid of needles!). I just don't see the need to take time off to get a test now when I will be having it all done together in a few weeks. Am I wrong or being irresponsible or am I right in feeling that these people should lay off?

You are not wrong or irresponsible, a positive is a positive!
I would ignore them! They should definitley lay off, no one should piss off a pregnant woman :)

Standard in the UK is no blood test, no urine test from doctors. They just take your word from it as home pregnancy tests are just as reliable as the ones the doctors use.

Stupid people last pregnancy i didn't have all my blood work done until about 12 weeks in my area dr's and midwives think it is pointless just to confirm pregnancy and time consuming, as people who are pregnant take more than one test!
first pregnancy i took 4 this time ive taken 8 a total of over £40 :blush:

That's crazy. The only blood work I can think of that people are talking about is the hcg testing...it's the SAME hormone a urine pregnancy test will test for, the blood test can just give you an exact number and if you repeat it, it should be doubling every 48 hours which signals a healthy pregnancy. LOT'S OF PEOPLE do not get this done!

The bloodwork you get at your first appt is completely different - first off they take A LOT, they test for genetics, immunizations, blood type etc. etc. Everyone [I believe] gets this done at their first or second appt.

Seriously, ppl who are not pregnant/don't have kids/you do not seek out advice from should really keep their mouths shut! :growl:

Good luck to you!

Weird! I had a blood test to make sure it wasn't ectopic or gearing up for a miscarriage, but that was because of spotting and cramping!

I had my first "mandatory" blood test at 5 weeks but that didn't even check hcg, it checked glucose, Rh factor and some other things. But not hcg.

With my hospital, before you can get your first appointment, they need to document/confirm pregnancy and have you come in to do an urine test. And that's it. After that, unless there is a problem/reason they never check hcg.

And genetic testing (blood tests) doesn't even start for me until 10 weeks and then another one I think at 14-15 weeks.

I have no idea what those people are talking about, and you're not doing anything wrong. :hugs:

Yeah they are stupid, sorry lol. I am actually totslly baffled at their stupidity and their nosyness! Hpts and blood draws test for the same hormone. There is NO need to rush in to get a blood test unless you are bleeding, severe cramping or any other complication, or you have had complications in previous pregnancies. In that case the doctor should take your blood every 48 hours.

Now that I think about it, when I went to the doctor to confirm pregnancy, they didnt check my blood... they did a HPT type test with my urine.

Your DHs friends need to tell you congrats and mind their own buisness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->