• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Confused about making up bottles

I'm confused, I thought that you boil the water if you have well water or are using tap water. I just use drinking water at room temp and mix..?

The easiest thing i find now is to make my babies next bottle about 30 mins to a hour after his recent bottle, as he feeds up to every 2 hours sometimes less, if i make the bottle about half hour after a feed the bottle will have cooled its self and will be good to give him on his next feed

you can premake bottles but its important to do it the right way, you shouldnt add formula powder to water less than 70 degrees in temp, as the milk powder is not sterile and needs to be added to min 70 degree water to kill off any potential harmful bacteria, if you follow the world health organisations way of premaking thats the safest way to do it i done it with DD and will also do the same with DS when he goes onto formula this is how i would do it,

before we went to bed, boil kettle leave for 20 mins (must be fresh water not previousley boiled water) but the amount in each bottle ( i would make up whatever i needed for the night feed and till bedtime the next day ( they are safe to keep in the back of the fridge for 24 hours) and your formula shake and then rapidly cool in a dish of cold water, store them at the very back of the fridge, then when you need one all you need to do is heat it up to whatever temp your LO likes it x

Well now I feel like an unsafe mom but I do it this way and our doctor said it was fine - we have bottled water in a constantly running automatic cooler/heater dispenser thingie. I put in some hot, some cold, add the powder, and shake. No one ever told me I had to sterilize the water. It's warm enough to dissolve all the powder (but not boiling hot to sterilize) and then I stick the bottles in the fridge. I have a little bottle army lined up and ready to go so if he's screaming his head off all I have to do is throw one in the warmer. I do however follow the recommendation of discarding after 24hrs. I don't know, when I told our doctor how I did this he approved. I cannot imagine having to stand around boiling water, or having to make a bottle fresh every time I needed one, especially since he's going in to daycare next week so I can return to work - they won't make bottles, I have to send him in with everything he needs already done.

Perfect prep all the way! However the pp suggestion would also be quick with boiled water to sterilise the powder & cooled boiled water to make it up to the right temperature.

Well now I feel like an unsafe mom but I do it this way and our doctor said it was fine - we have bottled water in a constantly running automatic cooler/heater dispenser thingie. I put in some hot, some cold, add the powder, and shake. No one ever told me I had to sterilize the water. It's warm enough to dissolve all the powder (but not boiling hot to sterilize) and then I stick the bottles in the fridge. I have a little bottle army lined up and ready to go so if he's screaming his head off all I have to do is throw one in the warmer. I do however follow the recommendation of discarding after 24hrs. I don't know, when I told our doctor how I did this he approved. I cannot imagine having to stand around boiling water, or having to make a bottle fresh every time I needed one, especially since he's going in to daycare next week so I can return to work - they won't make bottles, I have to send him in with everything he needs already done.

UK guidelines are much more strict than in the US. I don't sterilize or boil water either. It's just not considered necessary here so I feel comfortable doing this since all the doctors are fine with it.

And we wonder why its so confusing when one country says one thing and another says different, do what works for you and baby providing its not making baby ill. Mums know best x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
irenetta
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->