Confused about vaccine

laura109

Reaction score
My baby son had his second dose of rotavirus yesterday. The nurse with the first lot just said his tummy could be bad. The nurse yesterday said it could give us the virus as it's live. She told me to keep my three year old away. I feel on and off queasy today. I don't really think it can be because of my son. I wash my hands after nappy changed.

But what's confusing me is the following...

How can it be strong enough to make us all ill when it's weakened. It's also not made my kids ill after having it.

How can my daughter catch it when she has been vaccinated?

What would be the point in a vaccine that gives you the illness you are preventing.

Anyone know? Thank you.

My guess is that this is purely coincidental. The chances of a virus shedding is so very rare, and truthfully I think it's far too soon for not one, but ALL of you to have symptoms.

The vaccine works by exposing your body to a very small amount of it so your body can build up an immunity to the disease. Very small amounts are passed through the intestines in your child's poo which is why it's important to have good hand hygiene. It's very unlikely your are feeling unwell because of this, most likely you have caught a bug and it's just bad timing. Your daughter isn't likely to catch anything either due to being vaccinated but having a weaker immune system it is always best to keep children away as best practice.

I agree that this is purely coincidental. The rotavirus vaccine is a weakened live virus which causes baby’s immune system to develop antibodies to the virus but not actually get sick. Some do have the odd bad nappy but nothing like the horror of actually having rotavirus. It would be very unlikely for you to catch the weakened vaccine strain and even so, the timeframe isn’t long enough for you to have been exposed and show symptoms, so your queasiness is unrelated. You also would have some immunity to rotavirus as most adults will have already been exposed to the virus during their life. Likewise if your daughter is vaccinated she won’t be at risk.

Thanks girls. The nurse made it sound alot more contagious than what it is. There was so much conflicting info on the Internet I thought id ask on here x

How weird we were told yesterday that since my son was fine after the first time likely he’s be fine this time with it. Funny how it’s always different advice eh?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->