Confused about weaning..

Tsia

My MyloMan - he turned 1!
Reaction score
HV said hes dropped a percentile this fortnight in his growth.

Still on 5-7 8 oz bottles a day.. and doing BLW. Wants me to offer high calorie finger foods like cheese.. but all it did was crumble up! grrr
any suggestions?
Theres me making sure I am not giving him chocolate too much cos I dont want him to get fat.. seems like I cant do right for doing wrong!

Also.. every now and again (not every day or every attempted meal time) he will take some puree.. but thicker.. too thin and he spits it out. Stage one jars are just no good.. I had to thicken them up with baby rice just so they would stay in his mouth, never mind swallow! lol

so today apart from his bottles, hes had:

fruity yoghurt (approx 5 tea spoons full)
couple of crisps.. nachos and cheese to suck on
broccolli and cheese baby food (approx 5 spoonfulls again)
3 wotsits

Is this enough? or do I need to offer him loads more like all the time?

So confused. x

Sorry your having a hard time of it hun :hugs:

We wanted to do BLW but it just didnt suit.

We do a bit of both now though and Connah went on to lumpy/thicker food almost straight away which is fine.

Example of what we do is...

breakfast: porridge or toast with fruit spread( he will eat the porridge but also will now have toast fingers...so bit of BLW in there some days )
Lunch: Usually finger food,broccoli,cheese,cucumber,tomatoes,cheese on toast,dairylea sandwich etc sometimes some fruit for after( this is his smaller meal of the day as he eats a little less with it being sort of BLW )
Dinner: Usually what were having,chicken and veg mashed up or other suitable meal mashed up/pasta in sauce sometimes and a yoghurt for after ( Always mashed up food at dinner so i know he has had a good meal )

So you could do both,we do and it suits very well and maybe then Mylo will be steadily gain weight?

hope this helps
x

I am a bit confused by your HVs concern. Mylo is still drinking a lot of milk so that should be all he needs calorie wise. It is perfectly normal for weight gain to slow down at 6 months, Ruby has dropped 2 percentiles in the last 3 months with no concern from the HV.

This is just my opinion and ignore if you wish! But if I were you, I'd concentrate fully on BLW now. From other posts of yours, it doesn't sound like your LO is mad keen on being spoon fed so I wouldn't push it. At this age it is natural for them to want to do things for themselves, so I would start offering healthy food whenever you eat, don't restrict it to 'finger foods', offer him anything as long as it's not full of salt or sugar, he will eventually learn to self feed, as long as he is given enough opportunities. You just have to provide him with healthy food and leave the rest up to him, he WILL learn.

Have you got the BLW book?

A single centile drop seems like nothing to me, TBH. It is not as if he has suddenly fallen off the charts. :huh:

I wouldn't worry about, hon. As long as he is healthy, meeting his milestones, and satisfied, don't put too much faith in those dratted charts!

I too wouldn't worry about dropping 1 centile, I mean that could be the difference of 250g or something tiny that that - which lets face it they can poop out in one day !!!

As for cheese crumbling - what I do is cut a thickish slice straight off the end of the block, so its normally about 3inches by just over an inch ..and about 4-5mm thick. That way it doesnt break off so easily until the nibble it.
Also cheddar is the best I found for staying in one piece!

You could also try things like spreading philly on ham and rolling it up, or folding it. Or cheese on toast.

Personally I would stay away from things like Wotsits - I don't know that they contain bad stuff so not for that reason, but mainly becuase they have quite an artificial taste (IMHO) and so that kind of flies in the face of teaching baby to appreciate healthy/natural tastes...if you know what I mean?

WHATS THE blw BOOK? i'LL GET IT ON EBAY

WHATS THE blw BOOK? i'LL GET IT ON EBAY

Its by Gill Rapley only £6.80 on amazon, thats with P&P too!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Baby-led-Weaning-Helping-Your-Baby/dp/0091923808

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leoniee
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->