Confused with dates

Stardust89

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've just found out today that I am pregnant! Only thing is, I've been so concerned with the processes and timings of conception, that I've neglected to look for information proceeding it - so I'm hoping someone can help me.

The first day of my last period was 25/12/10 (yes, Christmas day! :growlmad:) and I have been using the cbfm so know that I ovulated around 17/1/11.
In the little bit of research I've managed to do since finding out I am pregnant earlier today, it seems as though there are 2 different time scales to work with - firstly x number of weeks pregnant (used by docs and taken from first day of last period) and secondly the gestational age (taken from time of conception). So when I tell people I'm expecting, am I telling them I'm 5 weeks pregnant or 2 weeks pregnant -or something completely different? :wacko:

Thanks x

:flower: Hi Stardust, congratulations! I was equally confused about the dates, but I got it all sorted :) So the doctors count it from the day of your last period, so that makes you 5 weeks pregnant. If you were to tell anybody, that's what you'd say. But because your ov date was a bit later than the standard 14 days (mine was on day 21 of my cycle), when you have your scan, they will probably put you back a few days but don't worry about that. Until the first scan, it's an approximate date.

Hope it helps! x

Thanks for that :flower:

So when looking at week by week development, I should be looking at 5 weeks and not the gestational age of 2 weeks too?

x

Yes, you should look at 5 weeks on the development charts. I agree, its all a bit confusing, especially since that logic when you're one week pregnant, you're not really pregnant at all. I think its because, except for those of us who were obsessed with TTC and knew when we ovulated, most women don't so its easier to date by LMP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->