Considering going against the flow ...advice wanted NO DEBATE PLZ

Jkelmum

Reaction score
So we all know until 12 month baby milk should be a big part of a babies diet ...well for me at 7 months i still struggle to get 12oz down her even by makin it into milk shake ect shes a nightmare yet eats 3 meals a day and is happy aprt from when i am fightin to get milk down her ..let me add when she does take it on the rare occasion ...shes then sick ...for the last 2 wks she as had a drink of full fat cows milk 5oz warm ...she drains and doesnt throw up ...now shes still offered the baby milk 3times a day to which i am lucky if she takes 12oz per day ...so my question is if she as a varied diet and keeps down cows milk surely thats better then having a varied diet but bringing a lot of it back with her milk ? ....Please dont suggest a change on milk ..we have had cow n gate normal and comfort , apitimal ..soya milk ...and dairy free ...nothing stays down yet cows milk does :shrug: ...I am seriously thinking of givin up on babymilk but addin vitimins to her diet for anything she maybe lackin ....

I will be going doctors for a review next week and i will be suggesting this ..but would like your thoughts for or against .....i just dont want a debate i know the guidelines but also know they are not workin for us

If it were me I'd go for the cows milk, plus a supplement like you say, cows milk will do her absolutely no harm and the vits will make she she doesn't loose out on anything.

Its a much better option than her going without a drink.

Obviously I don't know what you feed in her those 3 meals, but she is probably getting quite a lot of nutrients anyway - but if you were really careful you could probably even get away with no supplements (like porridge with added vits, eggs..you know all the 'good stuff lol) but I think personally if I were in that situation I would give the vits as a just in case.

I'd just wait to see what the Dr says. Cow's milk is higher in salt than formula so that would need to be considered too. Good luck with whatever you decide.

I would go for it. Drinking cows milk is better than no milk

Serina hun, Tegan had cows milk from 8 months :) She had very severe reflux and we found that she will drink cows milk and not be sick. Go to your GP and make sure its OK, but it should be. Most GP's will choose cows milk over a dehydrated baby :)

She doesnt even drink water or juice *sigh* the lack of any fluids is a worry ...

todays food

Porriage 8am
bannana smoothy and biccy 11am ...she drank about 65mls through a straw
1:30pm cheese on toast yoghurt and ricecake 5oz cows milk
4:30 pasta bake with steam veggies and garlic bread
at 7pm she will have fruitpuree on toast

at 7am 10am 1pm 4pm 7pm she is offered 6oz baby milk yet barely takes any of them ,...only started the super and 5oz cows milk for last 2 weeks

Serina hun, Tegan had cows milk from 8 months :) She had very severe reflux and we found that she will drink cows milk and not be sick. Go to your GP and make sure its OK, but it should be. Most GP's will choose cows milk over a dehydrated baby :)

Yeah this is reflux and tbh its gettin me down ...she will loose 8~10oz at a time ...then this wk she gain 1lb in 2 wks ..so thinkin its the less sick thats helpin cos when shes sick its not just her milk its her food too that follows the milk out

Claire i wasnt aware it had more salt in it so will make sure i ask before doing so x

I think u should try it. Jack was a nightmare with milk. He never drank more than 5oz at a time, and it was a struggle in the end.

Supplement it with vitamins like u say and i reckon she will be fine x

you can vitamin drops i think i'd drop a few of those in.

its obv you've tried every avenue so go for it. if she's thirsty she'd drink rhys was 8 months when he just suddenly picked the sippy up and went for it.

she actually eats more than rhys have you tried cutting toast out at 7pm she might be more hungry then.
:hugs:

serina its funny the things we do to control these reflux babies! it feels like we've tried EVERYthing for luca and nothing works. it does get you down. but i would go with your approach if the doctor okays it most definantly. you know whats best for your child. your doing a great job! :thumbup:

I agree cows milk with added vitamins will do her no harm at all considering how she is with baby milk. Ruby was on cows milk from 9 months and thrived xx

Yeah this is reflux and tbh its gettin me down ...she will loose 8~10oz at a time ...then this wk she gain 1lb in 2 wks ..so thinkin its the less sick thats helpin cos when shes sick its not just her milk its her food too that follows the milk out

Claire i wasnt aware it had more salt in it so will make sure i ask before doing so x

Yep we had the exact same problem with Tegan, she was on the 75th centile for weight at birth and now at 17 months she is below the 5th centile. She weighs just over 20lb. We still struggle getting her to eat now, she isn't sick as much but she sometimes projectile vomits everywhere. We found when we switched her onto cows milk she would drink a lot more and not be sick, she won't drink juice or water either.

It has to be your own decision hun and I am sure your GP or HV will tell you to just go ahead and do it :hugs:

you can vitamin drops i think i'd drop a few of those in.

its obv you've tried every avenue so go for it. if she's thirsty she'd drink rhys was 8 months when he just suddenly picked the sippy up and went for it.

she actually eats more than rhys have you tried cutting toast out at 7pm she might be more hungry then.
:hugs:

Toast is a new thing as she was waking hungry at 11 and 2 yet only drink 1~2oz milk x

My Lo has never drunk much milk, she loves it but must have a small tum as she only has about 12 onz a day like your LO.

she has 5 bottles 7am, 11am,3pm,7pm and 10pm. but just drinks afew onzs each time!

shes 7 months

Hey hun I'd agree with the other girls, go for the cows milk :D

xxx

I agree, I say with GP's guidance, go for it. It seems to me you have little other choice, so regardless of whether it goes against the standard recommended guidelines, it's obvious your LO isn't the 'average baby' when it comes to this!!

id go for the cows milk aswell!

also it must be awful to have to give your baby baby milk knowing its going to make her sick!

If you think the baby milk is upsetting her stomach, then I'd definitely ask the doctor. If it's just that she doesn't like it then have you tried mixing it with her food? So far as giving cows milk is concerned, I'm sure it won't do her any harm, though I understand that goats milk is less likely to provoke dairy allergies. Read up and see what you think.

no matter if u say no debate or not there will probably end up as one hahah

but id say that cows milk is better then no milk.

ive never been able to get zane to drink 12oz of milk at one go. it was only when he hit 12 months hed start taking 9oz for his night feed.

but id talk to ur doctor about this, he/she might even suggest a formular change even tho uve already done this

I would chat to the doctor the do what you thinks going to work best for your baby.

Good Luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->