Considering part time study whilst working?

detterose

Reaction score
Am I crazy? I currently am working 3 days a week however really want to study registered nursing, it's a 3 year course, however 6 years part time. You can study externally though which is great for my situation.

Just seeking some advice from mamas who have worked and studied? How did you manage it? My LO is only 8 months old atm, should I wait til he's older? If I started next year, I'd be almost 30 by the time I finished the degree.

Hey, I work 4 days a week and study a masters part time, I'm a year into it which is about a third of the way through and I have a 3 year old, pregnant with my second. I started the course when DS was 2, I would have started when he was 1 but had troubles with funding, it worked out better for me at the time because I was full time when he was 1 so think that may have been a bit much, but if I had of been part time I think around 1 would be fine. I will be on maternity leave for the next year so although I will have the obstacle of a newborn hopefully not working will balance that out a bit! I have to say I cope fine, it's something I really wanted to do and enjoy and have managed to find a way to slot it into my life without it jeopardising family time but still doing well. I think if it's something you enjoy and it isn't too much of a chore you will find a way to make it work, it's also important to have a supportive spouse to help with the childcare if you have an impending deadline etc. I personally think it is better to study when they are younger, your baby won't really remember if you were a little preoccupied over the next 3 years studying, whereas when they're older they will remember and more than likely fight for your attention more, although as I say I have managed to find a balance that doesn't interfere much anyway.

^ I agree it is do-able if you are determined and commit yourself to it xxx all the best x

ETA I started my degree part time with the Open University when DS was 3 and DD was 1. For the most part I wasn't working a job but I was completely on my own with the kids. It took me 5 years and I got a First!

Thanks ladies. I have decided to wait until January next year to see how I feel about it. If I'm still not ready, I may apply for the mid year entry. LO will be 18 months by then.

I guess atm, I have just accepted a job promotion so I dont feel comfortable telling them I have also decided to study, even though I've been considering it for a while now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->