• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Considering wraps!!

BabyCleo

New mama to Lily-Grace
Reaction score
Hello! Im going to be a first time mama at the end of may, and I don't drive. I was thinking a wrap would be easier to get around with, but im completely lost as to where to start/what to buy. I will be buying a stroller still but im thinking of relying on the wrap most of the time when I go out as my hubby works long hours and long rotations.

Any advice on where to get started/what brands to look at/ what to buy/ how to wrap would be great!

Smother me in info!! :happydance::happydance:

I love my wrap. It's a woven, Dolcino is the brand. It's super soft & has been since I first got it.
I was completely new to wrapping when this baby was born. She's now 10 months and I have used my wrap almost every single day since she was a few weeks old.

I found some videos on youtube when I was pregnant and practiced wrapping with a stuffed animal. I first used the FWCC (front wrap cross carry) all the time, and liked it. It's really good for a newborn & she preferred to be upright on my chest so it always put her right to sleep
But, when I found the FCC (front cross carry) a few months later, that became my go to tie. It's "poppable" (baby can go in & out without removing the wrap), it's so convenient! I literally wear the wrap like an accessory just about every day! Baby pops in & out as needed lol.
I do think the FWCC is probably better for little bitty babies though.

I skipped the stretchy wrap altogether and I'm glad I did. The woven has worked perfectly from <10lbs on. She's just over 20lbs now and still is in the wrap daily - it doesn't sag, like stretchy ones can & its just as comfortable as when she was 10lbs.
I've heard the stretch wraps are maxed out (by baby's weight) pretty quickly, that is definitely not the case with the woven.

Do it! Woven wraps are wonderful.

I agree with everything Wish4baby said. Skip the stretchy, a woven is more useful. Once you learn to back carry it will change your life. haha.

I see you're in Canada. Check out Birdie's Room. They sell online and have a great selection and very fair prices. Didymos is a good brand to start with. Indio is a classic. Just stick with cotton for your first as it's easier to care for....especially if you have a spitty baby like I did.

Youtube is great for learning. I particularly like Wrapping Rachel and Babywearing Faith. Wrapyouinlove is great also once you have the basics down.

Good luck!

Thank you!! I will check that all out.. I never thought to go to youtube!! I may have to practice with a stuffed animal too!! :haha:

Ditto what Sbmack said about Wrapping Rachel- I love her videos and she is very easy to follow!

The wrap you in love tutorials on YouTube are great. She makes it look ridiculously easy. And she always has gorgeous wraps too!

Woven wraps are the way to go . We have a stroller but 98 percent of the one I prefer a wrap.

If you can I suggest you go try some out . If you can ind a store that allows it or I you have a carrier library near you it's a great idea . Or look for baby wearing meetups near you to get help from other moms .

I've found personally that having two sizes is really nice if you can afford it . Shorter wraps and better for in wrapping and re wrapping when you are out . But you can do more carries and get some more support with a longer wrap .

Thanks!! Ill have to check them all out. Ive heard they are expensive, so should I limit myself to just one or two?

Getting into wrapping can be a slippery slope. When I started I thought I would only need one or two. One long and one short or mid-legnth. Then I became a little obsessed. I rationalize my collection by having different fabrics (some wool bends, some silk etc). I have more than I really 'need' now but I can't seem to part with any. And if I do, I often quickly replace it. I need to stop following all the wrap companies on Facebook. I wouldn't be so tempted if I didn't see all the new pretty releases.
I don't buy expensive clothes or shoes or anything like that really so I rationalize it as a hobby.

Just to show the other side (I'm quite unusual I think, but I didn't expect to be so I bought two gorgeous wraps and now need rid of them), I hated wraps. Never got on with it, even watching tutorial after tutorial, and baby didn't like it either (he got impatient at how long it took me, I think). I gave up and went back to buckled carriers and mei tais, like I'd used when he was little - I'd thought I'd need a woven to carry his greater weight as a toddler. But apparently what I needed was a Rose and Rebellion :D. Am looking to sell my two wovens now and barely got any actual use out of them, just lots of practice in my living room in front of the mirror, and there's well over £100 tied up in the two of them (forgive the pun). Perhaps just buy a cheaper starter-wrap, would be my advice, or borrow from a friend/sling library.

Even if you don't like them wraps hold thier value really well so you can get your money back .

Some people do have alot of them . But two will work just fine for most people for most purposes .

I have three total 2 wovens and stretchy wrap

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kayzee94
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"