Constipated.

XKatX

Reaction score
Oliver seems to be getting a little constipated since he has been properly eating. He eats loads of fruit, so can't give him any more of that. I'm giving him prunes this morning to help (I've just thought, does that work the other way though? I've confused myself now).
Anyway, he won't take a bottle of water, or out of a sippy cup. He's still having a nice amount of breastfeeds, so what else can I do? I offer him the cup every meal time, but he hasn't got the hang of it yet, although I don't think it will be much longer.
It's getting to the point where he has to stop what he's doing, strains and goes red, all just to do a poo.
Any suggestions ladies?

does he have bananas? they can constipate! if he's having toast, try giving brown bread instead of white, just to get more fibre in him to get htings moving! katie goes thru consitpated phases, but she's like a dripping tap atm :lol:

OMG he has tonnes of bananas :dohh: He loves them! I've just bought a tonne of them to make banana bread too! I guess I'll just have to ration them from now on!

katie has a bit of banana after almost every meal - she loves them! but she used to have really really runny poo, so it's helped us! i'm just making banana bread atm - its just in the oven!!

yeah banana can constipate. Prunes should help loosen his bowels but it is normal for the poos to get harder after the introduction of solids :)

Bananas, cheese and too much carb high food (like bread, rusks etc) can constipate...

Eventually once they start eating alot of solid food, then water or juice does help...

When we started Darwin on solids we gave him bananas and rice cereal, not realizing it has ZERO fibre. Poor little guy got constipated despite fruits & veggies and loads of BFing. The doctor suggested trying oat cereal so we bought an organic, whole grain oat meal (2g of fibre instead of 0g per serving), and started giving him prunes, peas, green beans... ta da!

If you're BFing he may not need or want water (though I'd keep offering it anyway) but a higher-fibre diet with a bit more water mixed into cereals and purees should fix things up pretty fast :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->