Constipation and changing formula

nulla0502

Reaction score
Hi

Just a quick one but my daughter has been suffering with constipation for 10 days. She is formula fed with Cow & Gate stage 1 but now I'm wondering if I should change to the comfort type? I spoke with my HV at baby weigh in and she suggested that changing the formula should be the last resort which I'm inclined to agree with but 10 days??? We have our 8 week apt on Tuesday so I'm going to bring it up then but was wondering what other people thought? Is 10 days a long time for a newborn to suffer with constipation? If there are no problems with wind would you put it down to the formula? And has anybody else switched from stage 1 formula to a comfort type?

Thanks in advance!

My son was on sma comfort when he was younger and was terribly constipated to we switched to aptamil stage 1 and he was so much better. My HV never had a problem with us switching. It's not like you're chopping and changing every day.

My son suffered with constipation until he was two but he had a really good gap after changinh from C&G to Aptimal. I changed to different types too, it won't do any harm to try something new out and see.

Mine regularly went about 3-5 days between poos at that age. It had nothing to do with formula as she was BF to 10 weeks, then we used 2 different formula brands (one of which did cause horrible reflux with projectile vomiting after every feed, so was pretty obvious there was a problem). But constipation can be pretty normal when they are little. My husband once went 28 days as a baby without pooing (his mum tells everyone that story). I would probably try to find other ways to sort it out first before switching to an expensive formula that may not help. We found tummy massage worked well (tiger in a tree pose with circular tummy massage). I also would use gripe water if it had been over 4 days. Usually she went within about 6 hours of that. I did that for a couple months and then it sorted itself out on its own as she got older.

Try using a teaspoon of prune juice added to 2 oz of cooled boiled water that really helps dd2 and ds x

Constipation is common among the babies who are formula fed as formula is harder to digest. Make sure that you use recommended amount of powder and water when making the formula because too much powder can cause constipation. Change the brand and observe your baby.

You can find more info @babycentre.co.uk/a79/constipation Hope this helps you!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->