Constipation and rice cereal

laxobellavida

Reaction score
My 4 mo. old has started eating rice cereal and loves it. I have since then also mixed in some sweet potato with it, which is also loves. I've noticed that he has been very constipated. When he does poop, he strains and cries and its a hard, clay-like constancy. What can i do to prevent this? Can I switch him to oatmeal cereal?

You don't need to do cereals at all if you don't want. They aren't really that beneficial. You can do veggies and or fruit and skip the cereal all together. Just be sure to try one thing at a time for 4 days so you can watch for allergies.

4 months is early to start solids so you could always wait a little longer and see if his body is better able to handle it a later date, if you find his body isn't able to handle it yet.

You don't need to do cereals at all if you don't want. They aren't really that beneficial. You can do veggies and or fruit and skip the cereal all together. Just be sure to try one thing at a time for 4 days so you can watch for allergies.

4 months is early to start solids so you could always wait a little longer and see if his body is better able to handle it a later date, if you find his body isn't able to handle it yet.

I've heard they can start at 4-6 months but his dr said i can start now. Not sure if his weight has anything to do with it but he was born a big boy. :bodyb: he loves sweet potato so maybe I will just stick with that!

I would back off solids for a while and try again closer to 6 months.

My 4 mo. old has started eating rice cereal and loves it. I have since then also mixed in some sweet potato with it, which is also loves. I've noticed that he has been very constipated. When he does poop, he strains and cries and its a hard, clay-like constancy. What can i do to prevent this? Can I switch him to oatmeal cereal?

My boys are all big now..23 21 and 14, but I started them on cereals even younger than yours.. Rice cereal is very binding, so maybe you can try the Barley?.. Or you can just stop the whole cereal feeding all together.. I used to mix the cereal with a fruit not a vegetable, but either is fine..I would definitely not give rice..I am sure he will love the Barley just as much, give the fruit a try ( Mixing it in the cereal), just to see if he likes it.. If you feel confident feeding at 4 months, that is fine, your the mommy and you and your doctor know best.. <3

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->