constipation meds?

T

Toms Mummy

Does anyone know what I can take to relieve constipation? Thanks x

With my little one I use gripe water. I often give her tummy time too and rub/pat her back. Do the bicycle motion with their legs, it will help them push it out :)

Thanks Zebra, sorry I was on my phone before so made the post shorter than I wanted! I meant for me :)..... I've been suffering really bad since just after baby was born, I had stitches and have just been persevering but it is really starting to get me down :(.... I'me pretty good at eating veg and lentils, and lots of juice to help but I need a bit more help and wondered what is safe while breastfeeding as I've heard that laxatives can have an affect on baby too! :dohh:

Haha whoops, I thought you meant for your little one. What am I like :dohh: :haha:

I have been suffering similar, when I had my check up everything is fine down there. Maybe up your intake of fruit/veg, avoid carbs, eat lots of fibre too. Orange juice/prune juice is good. Lots of water helps as well. It helps me at times, I don't take any medication so I can't help you on that front. Maybe a trip to Doctors to see what is suitable, he/she could prescribe you with something then :)

Thanks Zebra. I should really increase my fibre intake! I was doing really well in the 1st week but I have slacked a bit and notice myself reaching for the sugar more than I should!

I wonder if there is a safe medicine to take, which would take effect soonest..... the meds or the change in diet?

You're welcome :) I eat bran flakes, they help loads. I love them too, nom nom. Weetabix is good as well :D I know how you mean, I love sugary foods, I did when I was pregnant too. Must be for the breast milk :haha:

Take a look at the nhs website on constipation, it says some laxatives are ok during breastfeeding :) https://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Constipation/Pages/Treatment.aspx

Lactulose and movicol are fine as are most senna preparations xx

My nurses in the hospital told me that c-section moms are routinely given a mild laxative, so I was on one for about a week. I'm not sure what your options are, but at least some are safe.

Fybogel is good, dried apricots and dates are great too!

I second lactulose, I used it myself after having my little dude and it made things a lot easier. I also had stitches which is why they gave it to me in the first place. It actually tastes quite nice too :)
I took 10ml twice a day...hope you manage to get things moving in that department,nothing worse than being all back up so to speak x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->