Constipation + trapped wind causing cramps and backache!!!

Babybump2017

Reaction score
Hey ladies!

So for the last few weeks since I've been taking my pregnancy vitamin (erm, thanks iron!) I have been constipated badly and sounds funny probably but I can't even pass wind like I use to be able to! It's horrible! It's causing cramps, sometimes strong and painful, and I even had bad back pain right across my bum/lower back all night last night no matter what position I was in! It was gone when I woke up this morning but it was so uncomfortable and I'm sure it's all down to the constipation! I find myself sat on the toilet sometimes trying to find relief. I've googled it and it all seems to make sense but does anyone else have the same?!

Note I've had no spotting/bleeding throughout!

I'm going out of my mind that it's something bad or wrong with the baby, I'm 7 and a half weeks and don't see a midwife for the first time until Feb 7th! Then I guess I'll get my 12 week scan date but I can't enjoy this experience until then (especially after what I saw last time...) what with all the weird twinges and pains! Someone please tell me it's normal! :( I am so tempted to book an early scan but I don't want to tempt fate as I had one at 8 weeks last pregnancy and it was all fine perfect HB and tiny little baby then what I saw at 12 weeks will haunt me for the rest of my life! Help guys.

H&H 9 months to all <3

I have this also, I'm starting to suspect it's due to my retroverted uterus putting pressure on my back passage, could that be the case for you? Hope you find some relief! I'm just trying to eat loads of fibre and drink a lot, anything I manage to get out is a relief...

It's normal! I had awful gas with DS1. My saving grace was walking. Thankfully we have a treadmill at home and hubby worked nights. I would walk and walk and before too long the gas would pass - thankfully without anyone else having to be near it!

Talia - yes! I didn't think of this but my uterus tilts back so the sonographer said last time round during my internal scan. I've also just been to the doctors and she said the same thing

Berri- the constipation is driving me more insane than the gas but they both cause the same discomfort :( not good!

Ughhh. I had these symptoms daily until about 9 weeks along. Then, it was more off and on. Now, I barely have it. For me, it's the pregnancy, not the vitamin... as I wasn't taking the vitamin then (morning sickness and couldn't swallow it).

When I was pregnant with my first, someone recommended that I lay flat on my back on the floor with my legs up on a chair and knees bent at a 90º angle. This was to help pass the trapped gas. I use this method still. Just remember not to lay flat on your back once you're in second trimester. :)

I am now taking my vitamin. I use Honest brand prenatal because the iron they use doesn't make me gassy and constipated. I am extremely sensitive to iron. So sensitive that I was unable to use formula that contained iron when I was a baby, or I'd scream and fuss non-stop and already had a hemorrhoid as a newborn from the constipation and straining. So, things haven't changed for me at all. I either take prenatals without Iron at all, or it has to be iron in the form of ferrous bisglycinate.

Walking right after dinner has always been my saving grace. Your digestive system is most active after a meal. Couple that with walking immediate (walking also helps the digestive system) and I have been saved many times from constripation and gas!

I took a mild stool softener at times, like Colace, on the advice of my doc. Digestion slows so your body gets every nutrient it can out of your food, and the longer the process the drier and less easy to pass it all gets. If walking and drinking lots of water don't ease you, maybe try some medicine to be more comfortable?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->