Constipation?

Waiting4Bump

Reaction score
Not for me, but I could do with some advice for my friend. Her little one usually poos every day. However, he hasn't done one for 6 days now, and seems really unsettled, and screams a lot of the time.

He is 14.5 months old. The doctor has given her something which should relieve him, but that was 3 days ago when he started to become unsettled, and it hasn't shifted anything. Also, she has tried cooled boiled water.

Do any of you have any other ideas? I'm thinking of having him here for the night, I feel so sorry for her, she has had about 2 hours sleep a night for nearly a week.

TIA xx

She can't get in now until after the weekend.That was the first thing I suggested too. They have told her unless he has any blood in his nappy, then A&E wouldn't do anything - which I thought was bad with him being a baby :blush: - but to take him in first thing Monday morning if things were still the same!

yeh thats well bad they shud c to him es only a baby id still go in id ave words with them x

what about some watered down prune juice, that was hv advise once x

I googled relieving baby constipation, here are some tips. Hope this helps.

Remedies and How to Treat Constipation in Babies
There are many things you can do to help relieve baby's constipation. You can change baby's feeding pattern and/or engage in some physical exercises.

Exercises to Help Relieve Infant Constipation include:

Tummy Massage - Gently massage and rub baby's tummy in a clockwise direction. Place your hands at baby's navel and massage in a circular motion, moving your hand(s) out and away from the center of baby's belly.

Warm Bath - Some medical professionals suggest giving your constipated baby a warm bath. The thought is that this may help relax baby and "get things moving" again. Give a tummy massage as you are drying baby.

Bicycle Legs - Place your baby on her back and lightly hold her legs in a half-bent position. Gently begin to move your baby's legs as if she is riding a bicycle. Alternate "Bicycle Legs" with Tummy Massage. *"Bicycle Legs" also may help to relieve a baby who is gassy.

Relieving Constipation in Babies Younger than 4 Months:

Try giving one to two ounces of diluted fruit juice such as grape, prune or apple-prune twice daily and practice some of the above exercises. (Always consult your pediatrician about the appropriateness of new foods/liquids to help alleviate constipation) Learn about Fruit Juice in your baby's diet.

Relieving Constipation in Babies 4 Months to 12 months + by Changing the Food Diet

Try strained foods that contain high fiber such as:

apricots

prunes

peaches

plums

pears

peas

spinach

In older infants who are just beginning solid foods, you may want to avoid baby foods such as rice cereal, applesauce and bananas as these may aggravate constipation!

Barley or oatmeal cereals, prunes, peaches, plums, apricots and most vegetables are preferred when baby has constipation.

Juices are helpful, especially apple or prune, but use in moderation, as they are not as nutritious for babies as formula or breast milk.

If Your Baby is Constipated, Remember the BRAT diet!

The BRAT diet is used for the treatment of diarrhea in infants - BRAT stands for Bananas, Rice, Applesauce and Toast. An easy and natural way to remember how to alleviate baby's constipation is to cut out the foods that contribute to it - rice cereals, bananas, and applesauce. If you ever forget which foods to cut out, remember BRAT!

my mum used to put pure orange juice in cool water and that used to do the trick

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrsA3000
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->