Consultant appointment.

VickyLou

1 beautiful little lady.
Reaction score
Anyone else consultant led with a previous Csection? I have my first appointment with my consultant in the morning and I'm dreading the fight I may have getting him to agree to a natural delivery after my previous csection. What things do I need to know? My midwife told me he would try and get me to agree to a deal. She said usually they let you go 5 days over and if no sign of baby then it's an automatic section? Is this true? X

Think it depends on why u had a section. My appointments tomorrow too so I can't help but my mw seems to think I can have vacs but I ain't sure I want one

I was induced for a week with nothing, waters went on day 5, still nothing. Drip for me to 6half cm then I went back to 3cm. She got stuck and had a huge swelling on her head. I was induced cause of low growth and pre eclampsia.
I've done some research and it said there's only a 40% chance of birthing naturally if you was induced,baby got stuck and over weight before pregnancy which I am :(
I hated the section before it took me months to recover and I still have problems with it now sometimes :( if much rather try for a natural.

Sorry for the ramble. I hope your appointment goes well tomorrow. Xx

Maybe the if you go naturally then try but if you have to be induced then ask for section ?
Mine was failed induction too my induction was due to no water and small baby

They can't force you to do anything only advise you. If you really want to try naturally then they will let you, obviously if you develop any of the previous complications they will probably want to get you in for a section. I had an emcs after an awful induction with my first, then my second was a natural birth. Just make sure you don't let them push you into something you are not happy with. Best of luck today x

I had a consultant appointment at 13 weeks for the exact same reason and she was perfectly happy and pro VBAC. With mine we've agreed I can go 7 days over and then would go for a csection. I have another appointment at 34 weeks and I'm going to ask to push it to 10 days though.

Good luck with your appointment ... I know here they wont induce you if you had a csection but rather wait for things to happen naturally

Thank you ladies for your replies. I am hopeful he will agree with me as he's a really nice consultant or was when I was having my daughter. I don't think they will induce this time round after my previous failed induction and section. I am happy if they let me go the 10-12 days over due then book a section if there's no sign of her coming. I'm just terrified of having to book a section, I think it would be strange knowing the exact date in going to hold my baby and I don't think I'll be able to be calm enough to be awake. I'd just freak. Thanks again ladies x

Thank you ladies for your replies. I am hopeful he will agree with me as he's a really nice consultant or was when I was having my daughter. I don't think they will induce this time round after my previous failed induction and section. I am happy if they let me go the 10-12 days over due then book a section if there's no sign of her coming. I'm just terrified of having to book a section, I think it would be strange knowing the exact date in going to hold my baby and I don't think I'll be able to be calm enough to be awake. I'd just freak. Thanks again ladies x

Same, I feel like it's a bit sad to have to book a date. I enjoy the weeks wondering when it's gunna happen. I love the excitement of not knowing. I suppose needs must though.

We had an emergency section with my son and had a consultant apt at about 14 weeks. She was great - talked through what went wrong last time and went through the options of both a natural or c section birth for this pregnancy. She said it was completely our choice and I felt very supported.

So hopefully they will do the same wit you - whatever your choice x

Well my appointment was rubbish. I am absolutely outraged. After waiting and hour half after my appointment time to be seen I was asked what I wanted from labour, I said natural. No discussion, nothing! I was handed a load of leaflets about a section and natural then told t be on my way. I had to make another appointment for 6 weeks time which they have decided to change my consultant with no discussion and they have booked me an appointment for June to see an anesthesiologist! for what?? I don't know cause she didn't discuss it with me. Wtf????

Well my appointment was rubbish. I am absolutely outraged. After waiting and hour half after my appointment time to be seen I was asked what I wanted from labour, I said natural. No discussion, nothing! I was handed a load of leaflets about a section and natural then told t be on my way. I had to make another appointment for 6 weeks time which they have decided to change my consultant with no discussion and they have booked me an appointment for June to see an anesthesiologist! for what?? I don't know cause she didn't discuss it with me. Wtf????

My appointment was pretty rubbish too but was told they would prefer natural unless I need induction x

My appointment was pretty rubbish too but was told they would prefer natural unless I need induction x

Awwww that's a shame if you really wanted a c section :(like people have said they can't force you to do something you are not happy with. I don't have a clue if I'm allowed natural or not cause she just didn't discuss it. Hopefully my next appointment with the other consultant will be better. Xx

I had a planned c - section with my first (was a lovely experience).

Yet, wanted to try for the natural birth 2nd time round. I was overweight (obese, of BMI 40) and only 2 years passed from my previous c-section.
even taking all that into account I was approved to have a natural Home birth.
so, they can not force you to have another c-section, if you don't want to.

My second birth ended from home birth to the emergency c-section, after 36 hours of labour! We both almost died... recovery was horrible and nothing like my first, elective c-section...

I do not want to scare you, but, if you have 40 % chance of a natural delivery... Maybe go for an elective c-section? I just want to tell, that there is a WORLD of difference between an emergency c-section and a planned one.

This time around I am still undecided about my choice of delivery. First I wanted to try to go for vba2c, but now am reconsidering... I definitely would rather have an elective c-section then another 36 hour labour and end up with an emergency one!

Good luck and hope that whatever choice you make, will get you a supportive medical care :)

Hi, sorry your appointment didn't go to plan.
Somethings to consider;
-I would ask to speak to a midwife (birth reflection / vbac midwife) to go through your previous notes to see if there was anything that could have been done differently.
- don't get induced, and insist on going post dates, 5 days is not enough, I've known women to get to 12-14 days before consenting for induction or elective with a previous cs
- if you would be happy to be induced (some are) what protocol do they do for vbacs?
-see the anathetist, they refer for many reasons, previous surgery/ back problems/ raised bmi etc it's just an appointment to cover all bases, they will always advice on having an epidural (that is the job)
- consider wise hippo/ hypno birthing, they will help you prepare for any type of birth
- the most successful vbacs I have seen have been the ones where the mums have gone into spontaneous labour, so you need your body to prepare for labour so being active during pregnancy and having a positive mentality really helps.

Everyone is different and some will want an elective while others want to at least try a vaginal birth, it's a personal choice, I hope you get the right birth for you, wishing you all the best x

I had a planned c - section with my first (was a lovely experience).

Yet, wanted to try for the natural birth 2nd time round. I was overweight (obese, of BMI 40) and only 2 years passed from my previous c-section.
even taking all that into account I was approved to have a natural Home birth.
so, they can not force you to have another c-section, if you don't want to.

My second birth ended from home birth to the emergency c-section, after 36 hours of labour! We both almost died... recovery was horrible and nothing like my first, elective c-section...

I do not want to scare you, but, if you have 40 % chance of a natural delivery... Maybe go for an elective c-section? I just want to tell, that there is a WORLD of difference between an emergency c-section and a planned one.

This time around I am still undecided about my choice of delivery. First I wanted to try to go for vba2c, but now am reconsidering... I definitely would rather have an elective c-section then another 36 hour labour and end up with an emergency one!

Good luck and hope that whatever choice you make, will get you a supportive medical care :)

Thank you huni. I too have a high BMI but I don't get why that has to be there main focus. I had a high BMI with my daughter and she was perfectly fine. Alright I had a section but I still say it was due to me getting the epidural cause of the contractions being on top of each other cause of the drip.
Anyway I would really prefer not to have surgery this time. It's my last baby so would really like to experience a natural birth. 40% is quite low cause of my previous labour but I believe this time I may be able to prepare better now k know what I'm up against. My daughter clearly wasn't ready to come out when they wanted her too. The induced me a week early to there dates. As we were actively trying to get pregnant I know my dates and she was actually induced 3 weeks early.

Thank you again. I think my mind is made up I just have to see what this consultant is like. I hope you too can make a choice on the birth you want soon. Xxx

Hi, sorry your appointment didn't go to plan.
Somethings to consider;
-I would ask to speak to a midwife (birth reflection / vbac midwife) to go through your previous notes to see if there was anything that could have been done differently.
- don't get induced, and insist on going post dates, 5 days is not enough, I've known women to get to 12-14 days before consenting for induction or elective with a previous cs
- if you would be happy to be induced (some are) what protocol do they do for vbacs?
-see the anathetist, they refer for many reasons, previous surgery/ back problems/ raised bmi etc it's just an appointment to cover all bases, they will always advice on having an epidural (that is the job)
- consider wise hippo/ hypno birthing, they will help you prepare for any type of birth
- the most successful vbacs I have seen have been the ones where the mums have gone into spontaneous labour, so you need your body to prepare for labour so being active during pregnancy and having a positive mentality really helps.

Everyone is different and some will want an elective while others want to at least try a vaginal birth, it's a personal choice, I hope you get the right birth for you, wishing you all the best x

Thank you for all your advice.
I see my midwife next month so I'll speak to her about yesterday's appointment and tell her I wasn't very happy with how I was treated.
There is no way I will be induced this time round, I wouldn't agree to it. Last time I didn't have a clue what was happening with it being my first, I was in a lot of pain covered in fluid from head to toe, protein, high blood pressure etc. Plus at my last scan my daughter hadn't grown for 3 weeks so they made the decision to induce. I believe this time they won't due to my section.
I would love to go natural this time. In an ideal world at home but I don't think that will happen for a number of reasons. I want to be able to prepare for this one now I know what to expect.
Thank you so much again for your reply. Xx

Omg that appointment sounds shocking :shock:

It really was. I am still annoyed that I didn't get to discuss anything with her the stuff about moving consultants etc the reception woman told me about it. If I hadn't already been waiting 1hour half to get seen then I would if demanded I saw her again to talk but we were in a rush to get back home to my daughter. Useless at my hospital.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->