contacted by hmrc. been payed less than minimum wage! fuming!UPDATED.IT WASNT A SCAM!

I believe it's a scam also. Please call HMRC and double check this. They never ever phone you about these things-we recently had to give some updates figures for our tax credits and they said when we phoned them if we don't receive a letter with an updated award by 4th Seotember then we must call them because they would not be calling us. Yes it's true there are a lot of investigations going on at the moment but there were in the past as well, I used to clean the HMRC offices (at what was at the time their second biggest office in the North West) and they were always investigating companies for various scams and tax fraud. It does appear from googling that there is such a scheme in place but not clear whether it applies for previous employees and they would still write to you nonetheless xx

I hope it isn't a scam. I would ring them on their helpline just in case.

I'd ring them just to be sure. Another poster mentioned a scam email! I had one of those too.

I'd definitely say scam sadly, HMRC simply do not call people out of the blue.

This has been on the news, they have launched a massive investigation about employers paying less than min wage.

I don't believe it's a scam

This has been on the news, they have launched a massive investigation about employers paying less than min wage.

I don't believe it's a scam

Problem is scammers see this news too and know that people are more then likely to believe them because of it.

I was due a tax rebate of £346 and all they did was increase my tax codes allowance for this year so I won't pay as much tax this year to even it out. I didn't get a cheque back to cover it and I'd sought the money back myself for hmrc.

I woul be a bit suspicious too. I really hope it's legit for you but it does sound a bit odd. They have always communicated with me via letter or me calling them.

They do sometimes send cheques for tax rebates, as I just had one. I got one 2 years ago too. No idea why it wasn't added to my tax code though?! However, all correspondence regarding this was sent by post. I have never received a phonecall from HMRC. I have received many fake emails supposedly from HMRC though. I really hope it's not a scam OP.

HMRC are always tweeting that they NEVER email people..the HMRC call centre isn't even an outgoing one,as I've asked them to call me back before and they said,they can't.

I wouldn't think HMRC would deal with an underpayment of wages?Surely it would be an issue with your ex employer?Not for HMRC to deal with?Xx

I've had cheques in the past too. Had one last month for £148 as payed too much tax :)

I get cheques every time

On the phone call note, I'm suspect for ya too x

I wish i would get a cash payout for all the times i've worked for less than minimum wage. It would be nice if it were true, but like others have said, HMRC are known for NOT calling. I have chased them over a dozen times over the years and have never received a call.

I had one of those emails 3 years ago (i am suspicious because i always got dodgy paypal/ebay emails) but i thought the HMRC one was real with all the official logos and my info, i was actually owed money at the time, so it was only when i noticed a subtle spelling mistake that made me doubt it was real and then i right clicked the email properties and the return email address was some dodgy hotmail address.

they will never call you, i rang them the other day & asked if they could call me back as my minutes were about to run out (was on hold for 30 odd mins :dohh:) and the guy refused to.

Sounds like a scam, i had the email one. x

Oh no hope it's not a scam! I'm sure they are open back hols to phone them? :flower: x

Have you tried googling the number they gave you?

Yes I did but nothing came up. Probably is a scam then. Is there anything they could gain from calling me though? I didn't give them any info, they just asked if the info they had was still my correct address?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->