Contemplating Birthing Center

A

amjon

I am in my first trimester. I'm contemplating going with a birthing center with midwives. I don't really want to be at home, but the center has a homey feeling (plus they have a pool for water birth if I want). The one thing that does concern me is that they cannot write prescriptions (even for prenatal vitamins). I don't really want to go to them and then have to go to a doctor to get a prescription if I need it. Has anyone used a birthing center?

you might be able to get your doctor to prescribe pethidine if you need it or anything you might need " just in case " like they often do for homebirths.
honestly i found taking my own paracetamol was enough for post birth with ds1 and i had a episiotomy and alot of stitches and over the counter Co-codamol was fine after ds2's birth ( was dealing with spd as well as a nearly 3rd degree tear ) and my OH could buy that from the supermarket i didnt get anything prescribed for either birth other than the induction gel with ds2 but was in hospital for that anyway

I've had all my antenatal care at my local birth centre, as I did with my last pregnancy. If I get cold feet about a homebirth, I'll go birth there. They always told me they could give me pre natal iron tabs if I needed them (I did), and they offered gas & air and pethadine for labour. They also offer local anaesthetic for potential episiotomy procedures.

I see what you mean about not wanting to double up appointments if you need antibiotics for a uti for example. Perhaps you could go to your local mw for antenatal care, but birth at the centre? Or maybe it doesn't work like that in your area?

I've had all my antenatal care at my local birth centre, as I did with my last pregnancy. If I get cold feet about a homebirth, I'll go birth there. They always told me they could give me pre natal iron tabs if I needed them (I did), and they offered gas & air and pethadine for labour. They also offer local anaesthetic for potential episiotomy procedures.

I see what you mean about not wanting to double up appointments if you need antibiotics for a uti for example. Perhaps you could go to your local mw for antenatal care, but birth at the centre? Or maybe it doesn't work like that in your area?

You have to go to the hospital that the Dr or MW is associated with. I think the MW I have an appointment with to get my prenatals/ labs done is associated with a hospital in Haines City, not a birthing center. I asked to get a tour of the local hospital here (which I have heard is very nice), but they won't unless you are a patient of a doctor at the hospital. How are you supposed to pick a doctor if you don't know what the hospital they go to is like?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->