Contraception?

Noodlebear

Mummy of 1
Reaction score
Bit of a personal question but what form of contraception do you use/have you most agreed or disagreed with? I'm undecided about what I'd like to do so would really appreciate some actual opinions rather than just reading information off a website. Above are the ones I've been thinking about a lot (fairly certain I don't want the coil!) but obviously there are so many and I'm open to other options. Thanks in advance for your input :flower:

I'm on the pill (Yasmin). It's more expensive than the standard birth control the NHS offers (for them, not me obviously) so you do have to ask for it. But I've had 2 bad reactions to Microgynon, which is what they usually offer as it's the cheapest, and so won't go on it again. I'm really pleased with it and wouldn't want to use anything else right now. We'll be TTC again in a few years and I'd rather just do what I've always done until then and not try anything new. I was on the pill from 18 to 31 when I came off it to TTC (pregnant 2nd cycle) and I'll be on it again until we want to have #2 in a few years. After that, I'll think of something more long-lasting as that baby will be our last. I've always been really happy with the pill though and for now I'm not comfortable having the coil or implant or any of those methods. I have to admit, it's harder to remember to take them than it used to be because I'm more preoccupied having a child, so I do miss a pill here and there, but so far hasn't been an issue.

I didn't get along with Microgynon either and since then I've just not tried anything else. I was considering the implant but wasn't sure because of how I reacted to Micro. I think we'll want to TTC in a couple of years which makes me wonder if the implant and coil would be suitable for me anyway as they're meant to last longer than that.
I keep looking at pros and cons of everything and it's not helping me make any sort of decision :haha: at the moment we're just pulling out but I don't know how comfortable I am with that as a long term method.

I've voted other. My favourite thing right now is no sex!! Sorry hubby. When we do, we use condoms- there is no way I would remember a pill now

Coil (non hormonal) I can't explain how much better I have felt since not using hormonal contraception anymore, I won't look back now, it's coil or nothing for me, until hubby gets the snip. Not putting any hormones in my system for contraceptive purposes ever again. (I've used Microgynon, Yasmin -this was the WORST for me-, marvelon -the one I got on with best-, and the mini pill).

Edited to add: I only had the coil for 2 years before DS2, I knew when we would be TTC, doctor didn't mind that it was "short term". Obviously have a new one now!

Coming off of the pill was horrid for me so like the pp I am really hoping to steer clear of hormonal methods... So ill be following right now sex tends to be low on the priorities but condoms everytime!

Hormonal doesn't agree with me but we are done so I had essure done last week.

I was on the pill for a LONG time (About 10 years at least) and will never go that route again.. We are currently using the pull out method. We are planning on TTC #2 soon, so if I get pregnant now we wouldn't be upset at all. :)

I've been on cilest (terrible) microgynon (fine) and now I'm on cerazette, which is great and has less side effects. I don't like the thought of long term contraceptives but can see the convinience and the pull out method I wouldn't really class as a contraceptive.

I have tried all sorts of pills and have had awful side effects even bled heavily for eight weeks with one of them and got pregnant for another. I think I'm put off all hormonal contraception. I was going to go on the progesterone pill as I'm breastfeeding but they told me it isn't as effective so would have to use condoms too so I couldn't see the point. We just use condoms and pull out method. I was going to try the coil but I'm a bit put off by it as my friend got pregnant on it x

I'm on the pill again. Was on Yasmin before and was fine with that, but the new dr said that there was no need for me to be on that as it's a very strong one(!?) so now I'm on Cerelle. Although there's been no need for it - when do you ever get a chance to bed dance with a baby!?

Edited to say : not actually bed dance WITH a baby, I mean when you've GOT a baby! Oops!

We use condoms. I'm not good with pills and to be honest I don't want the extra hormones floating round. It's worked well for us.

the pull out method I wouldn't really class as a contraceptive.

It's actually used long term by a lot of people. Very successful if done properly so I'm not trying to knock it when I say it's not for me. It's just messy and annoying :haha:

I had the depo injection for about 6 years and did not have any problems. I did not bleed at all and didnt put on loads of weight either (or if I did it was due to eating not the injection!). I work at my doctors surgery so couldnt forget about it and could just pop in and get one of the nurses to do it when they were free (got to have some perks of the job!!). After depo I went on microgynon after getting into my head that we wanted to ttc. We are now using condoms and the pull out method and hope to ttc #2 in August/September :-D

I have the Mirena IUD. And don't have any real complaints. The first few months, I'd kind of have like a one day period and they were irregular but that seems to have stopped. I still get some of the emotional BS associated with periods, which sucks, but none of the mess, which is great! And I like the fact that I don't have to actively think about it, too. In about 4 more years, the clinic will send me a reminder to have it removed and/or replaced.

I didn't want to do the pill because of how easy it would be to miss some and have a whoopsie. I've had the patch and was always paranoid about it coming loose. And I've heard too many horror stories about reactions both the depo shot and the arm implant thingy.

For me, pulling out would only be an option if we were NTNP, definitely not for active prevention!

I was on the pill [Ortho Try cyclin [sp?] LO] from age 18-24. It was good for regulating my cycles but it made me a b word as well as destroyed my skin.

The Ring was OK - just weird to put in and it has a chance of falling out and being completely ineffective. Plus, tmi, it made my CM constantly super slimy :sick:

Condoms are the best, imo, as they don't effect your hormones but they can fail and they certainly don't help the mood [hey honey, I know you're ready to go but stop a minute and put this on :dohh:] plus, I don't know if this is the case for everyone but it dries me right up and if we try to do it for longer than say 20 minutes, I'll be chaffed to high hell by the end :blush::wacko::haha:

I tried dissolvable female spermicidal strips for awhile, those were pretty great. They are just a spermicide that is in strip form [about the size of quarter a US dollar] and you put one in 30 minutes before sexy time [disclaimer - obviously this wouldn't work in a heat of the moment situation]. They wont mess with hormones or your cm and can't be felt and when used properly have a close to zero fail rate.

All that said - I voted for pull out method as that's the way that we've used for years and it worked well [had zero fail rate] but if you're serious about not having any oopsies then it isn't want I'd recommend.

Good luck with deciding!! :thumbup:

I went back on the pill after I finished bf'ing. IMO all these methods except for pull out are very effective though.

I've been on the pill for some years and then switched to condoms for another few years and back to the pill now....never had an issue with either and I'm pretty fertile :D

I conceived twice being on the pill (taking it properly, seriously!!! same time everyday, never missed one) was on the pill for 4 years then fell pregnant had a miscarriage then fell pregnant again 5 months later on the pill. After my son was born in December I had Mirena IUD placed and it has been great. I didn't have any cramping with it, I have had one period last month that was only a little bit of blood when I wiped. After our next baby I plan on having it placed again I love it so much.

We're Catholic and will be using the natural family planning method, again.
I'm really regular & can easily predict my ovulation, so once my cycle comes back, it works well for us. We just don't DTD for 5 days or so around ovulation.

I am exclusively breastfeeding and she doesn't sttn, so for now I'm good, don't expect my cycles to return for awhile - it's that first egg I have to be super careful not to catch lol! With my 3 oldest I got pregnant before ever having my period, but I hope I learned what to watch out for :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut2024
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->