Contractions started!

vinnypeanut

Sleep deprived!!
Reaction score
Hey,
my cousin is about 26/27 weeks. Her contractions started early this morning and she has been admitted to hospital! I havent been able to talk to her all day because of her phone being off and bein a born worrier im ripping my hair out!!

Just wondering has anybody been through this before?? Or have an experience on what the hospital will be doing to help her? And what the babys survival rates are if hes born now?

Thank u xx

I really don't know hun.. fingers crossed for her and the baby!!

I found this article here: https://www.theherald.co.uk/news/he...rate_above_90_for_babies_born_at_27_weeks.php According to this article, the survival rate is 90%, which is very good, to my mind!

BABIES born around 12 weeks early can now reasonably be expected to survive undamaged.

One out of every eight babies is born too soon each year. Most of the causes remain unknown and pre-term birth is the leading reason for neonatal death.

Babies born before 29 weeks are known as "extremely premature", but thanks to developments in research and technology, those born at around 27 weeks' gestation can have a greater than 90% survival rate. This compares to a survival rate of between 50% and 80% for babies born at 25 weeks.

A premature baby cannot typically be taken home in a couple of days. The newborn is taken to the neontatal intensive care unit where he or she will continue to grow.
advertisement
300 x 250 Envirowise Scotland

There are 220 such units in the UK.

Dr Tom Turner, a recently retired consultant paediatrician at the Queen Mother's Hospital in Glasgow, said: "In the 21st century, being born at 27 weeks is not as risky as it was in 1970s, 80s or 90s. So many 27-week babies will survive. However, a lot depends upon the condition they were in when they were born and the conditions they were born into. It is an individual thing.

"The fact that the twins were shipped from Stornoway to Glasgow is not a major complication in itself. They would have been unable to stay in Stornoway because they almost certainly would need ventilation support.

"But as a general rule, at 27 weeks, at least you would be relatively optimistic."

Fingers crossed she is ok hun! I think they can stop the contractions provided her waters haven't broke or the baby isn't in distress, not sure though as have no experience of this myself.

Really hope all works out ok xx

Hi

My oh was born at 28 weeks in 1977 and now he is a 6foot2 hairy man in perfect condition. Things are better now than then your cousin has a good chance of all being well.

really hope things turn out ok for your cousin and her LO hun...xxx

i started getting contractions at 27 weeks with my last little girl! i was admitted and they gave me injections to develop the babies lungs.

i was monitored for 2 days and luckily the contractions just stopped on their own! and i was let home and then i went on to have a perfect little girl at 39 weeks!

i have my fingers and toes crossed for your cousin and her baby!

let us know how she is doing!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->