Convertible Cribs

Belle1981

Reaction score
Has anyone ever got one of these? Is it worth it?

I'm 10w3d and we went to look at cribs yesterday to get an idea. They seem like a good idea but I"d love some opinions.

We used one with DS1.
I liked having it. It was a nice transition between the time he had to take him out of the crib (bc he was jumping and climbing out of it :shock:) and the time he went into an adult single bed. He was scared of the single bed, after we learned he couldn't be in the crib for safety reasons. He felt secure with the bars and such of the crib, so with it being a convertible it was a smooth transition. He just turned 2.5 yrs old and we started him in a single bed last week. It was smooth sailing. Plus, if you look around at various stores/online, you will notice that anymore convertible cribs are similar in price as some normal cribs. (depending on brand and such). So i figure, for the same price, might as well.

Thanks for your info.

That's kind of what I was thinking too. They're basically the same price and they can be used for years!

I've used the crib for 2 (soon to be 3 babies), the toddler bed and the double bed that it transitions into. I'd say we got our money's worth!

definately worth it.it also makes it less strange to them x

I'm buying one from Ikea. I'm hoping it'll help smooth the transition when the time comes. She'll be going in it around 6 months until hopefully our next baby arrives...hopefully when she's between 18 months and 2 years old....then she'll transition into the next bed when next baby is coming up to 6 months...hopefully...

I'm buying one from Ikea. I'm hoping it'll help smooth the transition when the time comes. She'll be going in it around 6 months until hopefully our next baby arrives...hopefully when she's between 18 months and 2 years old....then she'll transition into the next bed when next baby is coming up to 6 months...hopefully...

we bout the white one from IKEA for #3 ! i love it! (DS2 is currently using it :blush:) i think it looks really cute when it can go low to the ground too :blush: i also like that when you can change it into a toddler bed its not so far off the ground like the one we got from BBRU for DS1. (dont have to worry as much about injury since its pretty close to the floor.

we bout the white one from IKEA for #3 ! i love it! (DS2 is currently using it :blush:) i think it looks really cute when it can go low to the ground too :blush: i also like that when you can change it into a toddler bed its not so far off the ground like the one we got from BBRU for DS1. (dont have to worry as much about injury since its pretty close to the floor.

This one? https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/00187875/ Will the bed guards like this https://www.lollipoplane.co.uk/uk/bed-guard-rail.html?gclid=CIyqjp2L9bUCFeXKtAodGU8AEQ work with it when they're a toddler? I am excited to get the cot up and ready! :D Glad it's worked out so well for you :D

Thanks ladies! Now I've always thought that Ikea has cheap stuff, am I just being a bit of a snob? Clearly it's not that cheap if it's lasting through multiple children!

We bought a convertible crib for DS and loved it. He felt so safe through transitions because it wasn't a big change since it was the same pieces. We just got him a new bed so we can use the same one for this baby, but I expect the baby will continue to use the full size bed for years once it is ready for that.

Thanks ladies! Now I've always thought that Ikea has cheap stuff, am I just being a bit of a snob? Clearly it's not that cheap if it's lasting through multiple children!

IKEA is cheap in price but surprising well made and sturdy, despite the low cost.

We found a nice convertible at wal-mart that was on sale for just $150. It even has an attached changing table for while it's set up as a crib. I thought it was a nice bonus, since otherwise I probably wouldn't have bothered with a separate one.

Even having never done this before, I never would have considered anything else. I have no idea if my Wal-Mart one will last through multiples, or even all the way to being a full-sized... but as long as it lasts through a couple conversions, I will feel like I got my money's worth. It's way better than having to buy a new piece of furniture every time.

This one? https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/00187875/ Will the bed guards like this https://www.lollipoplane.co.uk/uk/bed-guard-rail.html?gclid=CIyqjp2L9bUCFeXKtAodGU8AEQ work with it when they're a toddler? I am excited to get the cot up and ready! :D Glad it's worked out so well for you :D

This is the one we got:

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/50208366/

It goes higher for when baby is wee little, and then it when they get crawling and such it goes to a low level, i would say about 6-8 inches off the floor. (DS2 is currently using that level). Then the next level, it stays that far off the floor but the one side of it can come off.

With DS1, we used one of those side panels however, he was in a different c. crib that was much higher off the floor. I didn't feel he was safe to not have the one side. So even when he was in the toddler portion of the crib, we did have the safety rail. It was a nice transition, for him though. He felt secure with that, but it was still like a "big boy bed". And plus he wasn't unsafe anymore since he wasnt in the regular crib (he was/is a monkey!) Now that he is old enough, he is in a regular single bed. It's up against the wall so we only need one side to have the safety railing.

For the crib we got from IKEA, though, im actually not scared of not having a railing in the toddler setting, bc of how close to the floor it is. But if i changed my mind and felt uneasy about it i would get one railing.

IKEA is a fun store, but i agree to a certain extent about how cheaply made their furniture and products *can* be. It really varies with their items if i think it looks chinsey or not. With the crib, i feel it was well made. And plus, here in the USA all cribs have to pass a certain standard, legally. And if it doesn't it cant be sold here. I feel this crib is good quality and not made out of cutting corners. It is a lighter crib, probably lighter than most other cribs, but i think this is safe and i am not worried at all for my child to be in it.
But yes, some items from IKEA i stay away from bc they looks so wobbly and unsafe, but this was not one of them (https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/50208366/)

Thanks everyone! I'm in Canada and I'm sure we have the same safety regulations. I looked Ikea up online and there are only about 8 options for cribs. Ikea is quite a trip for us, but could be worthwhile in a few months. I'll also check out Walmart although I've had furniture from there and found it to be pretty cheaply made.

The ones we saw at Baby's R Us are about $300

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut2024
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->